Sign in to follow this  
Deatei

Hi Hello! Greetings from CA

Hi hello! I'm new to the forum. I was born hard of hearing, but only recently learned about the Deaf/HoH community and American Sign Language. I attend two schools and take ASL classes at my local community college. I love signing because it makes communication easier/enjoyable/understandable for me and I regularly attend Deaf socials/events because I enjoy making new friends. This summer, I took an amazing opportunity to study abroad for six months, but am now worried about not having the opportunity to retain everything I've learned thus far and feeling isolated again. Hence, I joined this forum. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better! Thanks!~

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Hi there, My name is Stephanie. Back in college, I took 3 years of ASL for my foreign language requirement and loved it! I have been out of practice for about 4 years now, and realized how rusty I was when this past year when2 separate times, I ran into a member of the deaf community that I needed to communicate with for work reasons, and felt like it had all left me. Hopefully I can find someone to practice with from time to time!
    • Little bit about why I'm interested in ASL. I have always wanted to learn signing and did take a class at a church about 10 years ago for a few weeks. My wife has a severe hearing loss of 90% and has wore hearing aids for 47 years. She communicates well when 1 on 1. her loss started at 45% but has gotten worse over the years. She has not been interested in learning ASL. I want to learn it and hopefully can teach her at home since she wont take a college class with me. I am enrolling in a ASL class my self starting in Jan. 2019 . I have been online with a free program "Start ASL". I want to get more exposure show I'm signing up here also.  
    • If you are looking to become an ASL interpreter, you will need to have a bachelors in something.  The governing board for interpreters requires that you have a bachelors in order to sit for the exam. I think that to be a teacher of the deaf you do not have to have a degree in deaf education, but you would need a teaching certificate.
    • Hi, my name is Mell. I'm currently taking an ASL 101 class at Brookdale Community College and I have a project coming up where a partner and I are going to sign a song (A Whole New World from Aladdin). I'm writing out my gloss and have some questions about certain parts. If anyone could help that would be amazing, thank you!