Why Am I Learning SIgn Language?

Baraka

I am learning sign language because I find the language itself to be very interesting. I love how you can have a whole conversation just using your hands. I became interested in ASL almost 2 years ago and began learning it myself. I am not fluent by a longshot and don't practice as often anymore. That's why I am here. Hopefully, I can start communicating with more deaf/HOH people and strengthen my skills in ASL. I've been having so much fun learning it and can't wait to talk to more people using sign!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

To be honest that I wanted to learn since I was a teenager, now 40. The problem was when I graduated high school they said my English score was too low and wouldn't allow me to take it at the time. I wanted to take it in case I had a child that needed it. Turns out I had an autistic child 2 years later and ended up having to learn a few basic words to communicate with her. I never went any further than that. Now that there's online schools it never dawned on me to try to sign up online. I have been learning on my own for the past couple months and doing pretty well and still plan to sign up when I have the money. Now I've just been trying to find deaf communities and suck. I've only run into one person that I got to speak to which was nice but it's very rare. All the gathering seem to be so far away. After 12 years in the military I do a lot of stuff from home. And have to sit in the house a lot during the summer because of my allergy to the Sun so online school would be great if I could video chat with people. Hard to meet deaf people to talk to. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, Alanna Burkholder said:

hey! I'm in the exact same boat. I really need to practice or I'm afraid ill loose it all! We can learn together if you want. Do you have Skype?  HAHA idk if that was right.

Hey I’m still learning asl I know more than I did before are you up for practicing with me my name is nylasha I just became familiar with a deaf church to help me also with my signing along with social media YouTube etc