Passion for ASL

Michael Hermes

Hello everyone!  My name is Michael and I’m currently a senior at UNCW in North Carolina.  I have been learning ASL for  quite a bit and would love to expand my knowledge and learn more about the language and the culture as well!  This Fall I will graduate with a Bachelor’s in Music Technology, but will begin to partake in an interpreting program at the time I will finish my Bachelor’s.  I have this motivational drive to improve and what more than to do that on here!  It’s great to meet you all!  😄

• Like 1

Hi Michael. Don't you find it interesting that you have both a passion for music as well as a passion for ASL?not that deaf people cant enjoy music don't get me wrong. I am a multi-instrumentalist and have a studio in my home and sign as well and people are constantly asking me how that works and I say to them that I didn't realize I had to choose one. 😁

Hey Alex!  Yes I totally agree, and in my opinion ASL and music go hand in hand!  I’m a classical saxophonist and I knew a deaf friend who would bring a balloon in order to feel the vibrations of the music and I was always so fascinated with that. And that’s so cool you’re a musician and one that is fluent with signing!  What instruments do you play?  

Hi Michael. I play the piano the guitar, I am a vocalist but my true passion is playing the drums. I would say that I am at about a middle school level on guitar and piano but the drums are my passion and the instrument I would say I'm the most proficient in. My studio has two kits and my daughter (she's 10) likes to practice with me. What about you? I actually don't have any plans to do anything serious with music but I have a true love for it and simply play for my own enjoyment. Now if I could master jazz drumming. Uggg...anyway, thank you for saying that I'm fluent in sign. I would definitely not say that about myself though. It's interesting, I grew up signing. I had a cousin same age and she is deaf. Every summer I would travel up north to see her and spend the entire summer signing and then come back home to forget a lot of it and start over the next year. About 15 years ago I stopped signing and then last year my husband passed away very young and unexpected. It reminded me that I need to continue with the things that I love so I am working towards my interpreter license but had to start completely over. So...it's coming back quickly but my receptive skills are not the greatest. 😁 I'd be happy to practice though...anytime! Let me know! 

Edited by AlexB

I think that is so cool that you’re proficient in drumming!!  I also think it’ll be cool if you get comfortable enough to gig around places and stuff!  As for me, I usually perform with piano and actually this Fall I will have my senior recital on saxophone. It’s cool that you had a relative who is deaf because that way it’s a motivation to learn more over the summer.  I’ll have to let you know soon about my schedule because classes are pretty crazy, but like you, I need to definitely practice in order to get my interpreting license.  I’m still new on this forum so I have yet to use the video chat feature, but let me know when you are available to practicing signing and I will work around that somehow!