ASL in Public Education

Jillian

Hey everyone, I am writing this for some research for a paper I'm writing and would appreciate if you guys would answer some questions.

-What are your thoughts on implementing American Sign Language in public school?
-Do you have any concerns?
-What would be some benefits?
-If this happens, should more middle and/or high schools offer more courses relating to American Sign Language and the Deaf culture?
-What do you think would/could happen to schools for the deaf if this happens? Would they keep running or, after a while, would deaf students be spread out around hearing schools?

**For Deaf and/or Hard-of-Hearing people**

-Do you think it would help you now even though you have hearing aids?
-How well do your hearing aids work?
-Are/were there any obstacles you came across with your hearing aids?

If there is anything else you think would help, please feel free to add that in your response.

• 4 months later...

Communication plays an essential role in everyone’s life. There are so many benefits if we provide ASL to children in public schools. Like  learning sign language aides young hearing children, including babies and toddlers, in developing oral language quicker. Children learn better with a ASL translator if we provide to them. There numbers of companies that are providing ASL translator services one of them is Languages Unlimited.

• 10 months later...

I am a product of Detroit Public Schools. When I graduated, each person was supposed to do at least one year of a 'foreign language'. Not sure of a better term to be inclusive of ASL, but wouldn't it be grand if a year of ASL was offered? 

In High School, at least, all the kids could have a chance to learn the Alphabet, Colors, Numbers and some simple greetings. 

I have niblings (nieces and nephews) and I am sure to teach them all the IMPORTANT stuff: cookie, ice cream, bathroom, mother, father, eat, hungry, sleepy, and the alphabet, too. All before they start school. I think that would be great for ALL kids. 

I believe that exposure to ASL serves several purposes: It helps people to express themselves, being exposes to ASL could help them to see the D/HoH Community as not so 'foreign', and it could get more kids to learn to become fluent so that there is increased communication. 

Please try to get ASL into your schools. Preferably before grade 3, but as a catch-all, in High School. 

• 1 year later...

Hi there, my son is in 2nd grade and is nonverbal. He uses ASL to communicate yet he can hear enough that the teachers and aides just talk to him. They use a little bit of sign but no one in the school is fluent in ASL. Its frustrating toe as a parent to see such a lack of drive to learn it. I'm actually having a hard time with requesting it in his IEP because it's hard to advocate for him. I think it's an excellent idea to include ASL as a class in all schools. 

• Like 1