English sign vs ASL difference?

Annabanana

hi new here but question is there a difference between English sign language and ASK. very new to this . I have one interp using English sign language one using ask. and seems different but was just told when adkingvwhy it's so different she said she uses English sign language. when I first started I was told English sign is like slang what people would think ASL would be. I am confused but feel I am waiting alot of time. I'm going blind and must learn and time is alot to me. I have spent several month with a person learning what I was told was asl but I been questioning as my first interp signs different. I know many add more to things but basic words different so I asked why she didn't say next visit she said she's using English sign. so can someine tell me the difference to English sign and true asl.  feeling like a fool but she said she an interp she works with special needs and I really didn't look into schooling and  all to check out how real but not feeling upset. is there English sign and asl are they different and is English asl kinds the fake asl.?frustrated. I have Elhers Danlos syndrome and lost more hearing in last 3 years. but have been hard hearing since birth but not around anyone who signs or deaf my family never learned and now going blind so I really need to learn but struggling all this at same time fighting my health in no cure illnesses. any suggestions if a start for people who are very new to asl  but born hard of hearing but had some now legally deaf. I can pick up some high pitch sounds not words. I read lips and did without realizing as I lost more hearing but now I'm on overload and the headaches if watching people speak trying to figure words I never heard and I'm at a loss in communication and very much struggle learning asl my hands have alot of pain but even trying to learn I struggle with eye hand coordination. I finger smell as I try and learn more words . memory is also issue. do I even dare bring up tty phones I understand I think why most I have met laugh and are like toss it no good just learn asl and do video.  most please let me know difference in asl and English sign do I stay with person I'm with or find another. thanks

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

ASL = More gestures, and facial expressions. Less conjunctions/ more interjections. More for acting, vividness, and less cluttered.
English = Less gestures, moderate facial expressions, more monotone. A lot of conjunctions are added, and way less interjections. Words are more cluttered, and baffling. 

~ I am deaf, and was born deaf. ASL is my first language, SEE ( English sign language ) is my second language. ~