Hello!

penguing1227

HI! I started to learn ASL in grade school for my cousin, who is deaf. I did some self teaching and she taught me some. Later in life we realized that she had actually learned a mix of ASL and Signed English. As she started going to a deaf school she was able to correct fairly quickly.  I am still working to correct my signing to ASL. In college I took a placement test and placed straight to ASL 4, when I completed ASL 5 my teacher informed me that my general signing is right on track, however my basics are still very "English". I also took a history of deaf culture class. I had to stop school for a while, and until I can go back my husband and I practice at home from time to time, though he has a very busy schedule, and his signing is very limited. I have also learned some French (4 years), Spanish(2 years) and a little Latin (1 year). When I started signing I learned that I have a knack for languages. Eventually I would like to be an interpreter. I was majoring in ASL interpretation while minoring in French. I now live in a small town that has no ASL groups or classes, unless you are an actual student at the college. The closest one is over an hour away. I am hoping to start up a group in my area. But I am really looking for anyone to practice with. In addition to my husband trying to learn, I am also working on teaching my 2 year old daughter! 

• Like 1

Hi, NICE MEET YOU.  I think we're all here for the same kids of things.  I'd be happy to get with you on here or on Glide at some point to practice.  Though I'm only at ASL 2.  So I don't know what help I'd really be to you.  I tend to sign more PSE as well since I'm just not exposed to many deaf people.  Well, at least not to the point where I fell comfortable asking someone to help me learn better.