BSL in mainstream schools

Fuffa03

I found this course and decided to try it out during lockdown. I mentioned it to the head teacher who is very interested in it anyway and now all the TA’s are doing it.
I work in primary and there could quite easily be time in the school week (or fortnightly) to do it. As more special needs chn are attending mainstream school I think all schools should teach this skill instead of makaton. A great way to teach chn a life skill and be all inclusive too. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, Music Teacher / Head of Department of almost 10 years here :) I actually introduced a project in my previous school where I sent out a weekly email to all staff with at least one sign on it that they could use with the students (please/thank you, sit down, quiet, can I help you etc.) At that point, I had only done my own research into basic signs.

It was used by most staff successfully and I would randomly find students passing me in the hallways, asking me if I needed their help carrying my books / instruments etc. It was lovely!

My current role is in a special school which actually has a deaf provision area for sixth formers, so it will be great to use my new Level 1 (starting L2 in Sept) skills with them!

Best of luck to you both.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a beginner to BSL myself, but have a role i teaching Spanish, etc in our primary school.  I currently teach STEM and often use a songs, particularly with the younger children.  Our Covid guidance at present means we are not allowed to sing and I thought that might give an opportunity to use Sign Supported English to learn some signs for songs we already know instead,  Hope that makes sense.  That said, I'm not really sure where to begin, so wish me luck.

• 4 months later...

Hi there! I am a NQT and during this strange time teaching, I have added in BSL and SSE to my curriculum. The kids love it. We learnt Merry Christmas everyone and let it go from frozen in SSE. In BSL they learn along with me. I think it should definitely be taught. It's so lovely to do and to be honest, at the moment they are going to be far more likely to need BSL as opposed to French or Spanish.