'The interpreter isn’t here because I’m deaf, the interpreter is here because you don’t sign.'

Hi all!

I started this course after seeing a tweet by twitter user @jamesjoeboyle, who said:

Gentle reminder that the interpreter isn’t here because I’m deaf, the interpreter is here because you don’t sign. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.

This really put things into perspective for me, so now I've started my journey to being more inclusive and learning a new language 😀

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• I'm the wrong side of 65, and it's a challenge - but who doesn't like a challenge? My hearing is steadily getting much worse, particularly in my left ear, where I also have quite severe tinnitus. I didn't realise how much I was reliant on facial expressions and some form of basic, unconcious lip reading, until widespread mask-wearing made it obvious to me, and I became very isolated. Although at my age I'll never become fluent in BSL, a little knowledge and some skill will be better than nothing. I volunteer on the canal network - something I really enjoy - and it's somewhere BSL may well come in useful at some point.  So, for me it's a combination of the challenge, the hope of greater inclusion, and the potential practical application.
    • Hi - I'm Mike in Leicester. Completely new to this!
    • I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, but I'm a secondary school teacher with a number of children with varying hearing difficulties, and a father who wears hearing aids. I figure that as well as being fascinating to learn (I love learning new things), it's a skill that could be really beneficial to me too.
    • I'm training to become a GB sub officer and feel that learning bsl will help my company to be more inclusive to children with hearing difficulties 
    • I'm new to signing and can't quite figure it out !!! 
    • Hello my My name is Joline I'm 42 years old. I'm several hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. Im on the waiting list for the Cochlear Implants. I've been hard of hearing since a young girl and I'm learning to sign now to be able to communicate with my children and others as over the years my hearing has deteriorated and without out my hearing aids I'm in silence  Thank you for reading 
    • Hi Martin You are not alone! Have you had any signing experience before? If not, have you found BSL to have helped you communicate? Wen 
    • Hi Megan I know it's been a few days since you posted this but I am 24 and took up BSL after learning more about the Deaf community thanks to Rose, and would be more than happy to talk with you? Thanks   Wen 
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker