Hi - my name is Karen and I'm a writer of short plays and short films in Leeds. I'm currently producing a night of new writing with Orange Horse, a new creative hub in Leeds, but obviously our performance had to be cancelled so like everything else, it's currently on hold. I'm not deaf but have been fascinated by the way deaf people communicate ever since I saw the movie "Children of a Lesser God" in the 80s. I had some private sign language lessons with a lovely deaf friend some years ago, but life got in the way and I wasn't able to carry on. I'm just about to take the final assessment for the Introduction to BSL, which is making me nervous as I'm a woman of a certain age and aren't able to retain information as I used to!

I'm hoping that when restrictions ease that I can continue with my lessons in person in Leeds.       

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• At university I studied Fine Art, and my practice was primarily centered around notions of the body. In particular, the importance of touch and physical communication fascinated me. I believe this is why studying BSL recently has felt such a joy for me; something directly in keeping with the concepts I was excited to explore during my degree. Since graduating, I started my first full-time job in September as a Learning Support Assistant in a local secondary school's Hearing Impaired Resource Base. I can safely say that I have loved working with the students so far, as well as among colleagues whose communication skills I admire such as ToDs and interpreters. Thanks to this job and the influence of those I work with, I've gained a newfound enthusiasm to really practice my BSL (and hopefully, one day, become proficient at it!). ☺️ ~ Amy  
    • Hey everyone 😊 My name's Amy and I live in London. Here's a video of me briefly introducing myself in the small amount of BSL that I know! Looking forward to getting to know others 👋    
    • Hi Danny. Good luck with this. Like you I am very new to BSL and, as Wendy  says, doing regular fingerspelling games seems to help pick up the alphabet. I have found constant repetition of the "vocabulary" is gradually getting through. I haven't tried the chat rooms to practice with other people yet. Everyone would need to sign VERY slowly.
    • Afternoon all, I have 70% loss both ears but as others mentioned didn't realise how much I relied on lip-reading and reading peoples facial expressions until we started all wearing masks. The last two years with COVID have left me feeling very isolated so I figured it would be a good idea to learn BSL and I am enjoying it very much.  
    • Hi Danny, welcome  I have not learned as much as I would have liked to  - started a few months ago - but I find that when I have had a gap in learning BSL doing a few fingerspelling games really helps  
    • I would just love to learn BSL. I also have a young niece who communicates using BSL and I would love to have a conversation with her using her primary language. 
    • Hi,    I’m Danny and I’m very new to this. Although I have an extremely difficult time learning languages I am determined to learn BSL. I would appreciate any help that comes my way 😊  
    • I grew up in the S.Wales Valleys. I was taught to sign the alphabet when I was very young by my wonderful Aunty Marion. I was recently at an event where I had a chat with a lovely Deaf man from Liverpool. I realised that I wanted to be able to speak more clearly and be able to understand the language better.  Upon starting this course I have realised just how much I recall from my Aunt's visits, and how much more I have to learn.  I shall be learning as much as I can before the next event in April 
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker