Why am I learning BSL? so this never happens again...

I've had a couple of personal experiences that have brought me here.  After leaving school I worked as a teller in the local branch of a building society and one of the first customers I served was deaf.  They had some issue they needed resolving but the communication barrier meant neither I or anyone else in the branch could help him.  He got upset and very very angry.  He shouted incomprehensibly in my face and was signing frantically.  I actually thought he was going to get violent but things eventually calmed down and he left, his issue still unresolved.  Some of the staff were visibly upset by the incident.  I was too - but not upset for myself.  I was upset for him. I could only imagine the frustration he must have felt and how isolating the world must have been for him.  I took it upon myself at the time to learn at least something in BSL, no official courses, just a few things I picked up of the internet.  I learned how to fingerspell, some numbers, and and some basic greetings (hello/goodbye/please/thankyou) and practiced them in a mirror for weeks and weeks in the hope that if such an event ever happened again there would be someway I could help, even if I had to spell out every letter of the conversation.
A few years later I was doing a carboot sale and I saw the same man approaching my stall.  I don't think he recognised me and I continued to chat away to my wife as he browsed the items on my table.  When he picked up an item I was so nervous that our interaction would end the same way it had previously.  He asked my wife 'How much?' but she did not understand his speech just like I hadn't in our previous encounter.  Thankfully I had grasped what he had asked and was able to sign 'hello'. and '15' as I pointed to the item he was holding. (i can't recall what the item was now). He looked somewhat taken aback - he was expecting that.  His face lit up.
'8?' he signed back.  I was picking up on his facial expressions.
'12' I signed back.  I couldn't believe this.  I was now haggling in a language I'd never even used before.
'10' he signed back (I think - I wasn't sure on that one) but at this point I was so elated that I'd been able to make that connection with him that he could've taken that item for nothing and I wouldn't have cared.  I shook his hand on 10 and then as he handed over the cash and tucked the item under his arm I signed 'B-A-G'.  he gave me a thumbs up and I passed him a carrier bag for his purchase.  We exchanged a final sign of 'Thank you' followed by goodbye and I never saw him again.
Despite having to spend the rest of the day explaining to my wfie how and why I was able to have a conversation in sign language I was so immensely pleased with myself for what I had done.
So reason I'm now on here is because with the global pandemic and everyone wearing masks I imagine the world has become far more isolating for the Deaf.  It makes me think and feel how I did when that man left my branch all those years ago.  If I can do something to help that then I'll try me best to do it becuase when he slammed that door after our first encounter I never thought 'that went badly because he was deaf'  I thought 'that went badly because I can't sign'.  and I'm going to change that.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Well done you!  I agree, the wearing of masks is increasingly isolating - Partially deaf myself, I rely heavily on lip reading and have tended to shy away from communicating with people as a result of masks.  If everyone had a modicum of sign language, think how daily interaction would be massively improved during social distancing and face masking!

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• I feel a little disheartened today. I've always wanted to learn BSL and just started this week finally. I'm really struggling at the first hurdle. I had memorised the whole alphabet pretty seamlessly within an hour, and I just confuse the vowels which I've heard is pretty normal. After a few days of practising the alphabet I had moved on to a test portion of my course which spells out names you have to try to understand.  I have an issue processing numbers, I cant remember them or relate them together well at all. And I also have an issue visualising the spelling of words in my head. I cannot spell out loud from memory (even with practice) I can feel the shape of the words leave my fingers as I type or write, I dont see them in my mind at all. I am not able to hear someone say P-E-N-C-I and know that L comes next unless I'm used to hearing that word being spelled out and its said in the exact same way (like in a cheer or a rap lyric for example. If I heard it spelled out every single day it might start to stick but it was have to have the same intonation). I will have forgotten how the word started by the time I got to the C in pencil, as I've not visualised the PEN as a thing yet, it was a jumble of a few letters that didnt form an image.  If I lip read the name I feel like I'm cheating, but I'm so used to half lip reading all the time that its hard for me to turn that off and concentrate on how to put those nonsense letters you just spelled out in a coherent order and then voice it in my mind to create the right word.  In my course I got completely stumped at one of the first examples on the test. The name he was spelling out was NOAH. I saw N, I saw O, then A and I just kept thinking the only name I can think of that starts NO is Norah, and there was no R next. A came next. I was wracking my brain trying to see a word that worked but all I could hear in my mind was Norah - nope doesnt work, Norah - nope I said already it doesnt work. When he ended with H I was like what on earth are you spelling dude?? what the hell name ends with AH -ohh its Noah. damn it. Every single name he spelled just threw me unless I could get it from how he mouthed the name. I'm a bit disheartened that I will be properly set back by this. 
    • Hi    my name is sadia
    • That is  a great reason for learning to sign I think, I worked in retail for years and always meant to learn for the same reason but was so busy already learning other languages. I remember getting my phone to communicate with a Spanish lady as my Spanish was non-existent at the time, and I wouldve done the same to communciate with a deaf person. But if I could, I'd learn every language so that I could communicate with everyone. This is such a large community of people to just not be able to talk to. 
    • FEW SPACS LEFT on Tuesday 28th September taster class, 6pm - 8pm. Every month, at our Training centre in London, we offer free BSL classes for beginners of the language. The concept behind these popular sessions is to 'try before you buy'. We know paying for a course is a big commitment, so why not come along to a free class and see if BSL is for you or not. The session will also includes information on upcoming BSL Level 1 courses, should you want to start your journey into learning BSL straightaway. You'll also get £50 off, if you sign up on the night! What are you waiting for? Join us at one of our upcoming intro sessions. Contact [email protected] or call 0207 269 2621 to book your place.
    • Hello,   Yes, you can, what happens is when you sign up for Level 2 courses without holding a BSL Level 1 qualification, one of our BSL tutors will have to assess your signing skills before accepting you onto the course. For more information please feel free to have a look at our website: https://remark.uk.com/bsl-level-2/ or contact the training team on 0207 269 2620 / [email protected]  Kind regards, Remark!
    • Hi, I decided to learn sign language as I work in retail and am shamed to say no one can communicate with our deaf customers, they either have to come in with an intereprter or have everything written down. So rather than ignore this and leaving it to someone else I have decided to do something, so here I am and glad I've joined however I am still a little shy and nervous of actually taking the first step to talk to our customers. 
    • I've always been deaf because of Barakat's Syndrome, but my hearing is already severely impaired in both ears, and it is still deteriorating.  At the end of the day, I'm going to have to learn sign language to communicate to people, so I thought why not do it when i am still able to hear.
    • Hi. My reasoning behind wanting to learn is I work with children under 5, I am a Senco and believe that as humans we are social creatures that need communication to thrive and essential apart of being apart of a community.  I personally dislike baby sign, as it is often badly executed and would prefer BSL giving a second language given from the beginning. This would give all children a skill to except others for who they are and how they communicate, rather than seeing deaf or non verbal people as an oddity.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker