Jump to content

Hi, everyone from the USA.


Recommended Posts

I came across this website when I was looking for a way for me to teach my wife BSL, as I'm deaf in my right ear and losing hearing in the other, but I haven't used BSL since 1985, and have forgotten most of it, I can finger the alphabet but slow, and I can remember some of the signs for other words, but as I haven't used it in so long, it's like learning a language and not use it then forget it, as I used to be able to speak French many, many years a go, but have forgotten most of it, because there was nobody around that I could practice BSL with so that I wouldn't forget it.  the problem is if I find someone to practice with, there'll be a huge time difference between the UK and the USA, currently, I am 7 hours behind the UK.

I have another post in here explaining why I learnt BSL and forgot most of it.

Edited by Usalabs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm also in the U.S. Why did you decide on BSL instead of ASL? I'm an American Sign Language interpreter and am wanting to also become certified in interpreting BSL, but you're right. It is hard to find practice for that out here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JDixon88 said:

Hello!

I'm also in the U.S. Why did you decide on BSL instead of ASL? I'm an American Sign Language interpreter and am wanting to also become certified in interpreting BSL, but you're right. It is hard to find practice for that out here!

As I'm already partly knowledged in BSL, and after looking at the differences in ASL and BSL, I found that ASL, is extremely difficult to learn, compared to BSL, I'm not saying that because I'm British, but BSL is what I was taught when I was younger, but now I'm 62 and at my age learning another completely different one would be impossible.

What I wanted was for someone to help me improve what I already know, not to fail at learning something else from from scratch, then I can teach my wife, so that when I do eventually lose my hearing altogether, we can still communicate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/08/2022 at 19:07, Usalabs said:

As I'm already partly knowledged in BSL, and after looking at the differences in ASL and BSL, I found that ASL, is extremely difficult to learn, compared to BSL, I'm not saying that because I'm British, but BSL is what I was taught when I was younger, but now I'm 62 and at my age learning another completely different one would be impossible.

What I wanted was for someone to help me improve what I already know, not to fail at learning something else from from scratch, then I can teach my wife, so that when I do eventually lose my hearing altogether, we can still communicate.

That makes sense! Well, if you ever wanted to get some practice in with someone closer to your time zone let me know, I'm sure we could set something up via Zoom or something and you could teach me a lot! I'm still only breaking into this and have a long way to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/08/2022 at 08:45, JDixon88 said:

That makes sense! Well, if you ever wanted to get some practice in with someone closer to your time zone let me know, I'm sure we could set something up via Zoom or something and you could teach me a lot! I'm still only breaking into this and have a long way to go. 

Lol, I doubt I could teach you much, as I've already forgot most of it, and as they say, "if you don't use it, you lose it". and I haven't used BSL, in around 36 years, so much of it is lost, it just needs a refresher, to ignite it all.

I would be interested in finding someone to 'refresh' my memory and to help build up speed.  My time zone is MST (Mountain Standard Time), which is currently 8hrs behind the UK, which would mean for the hours between 12pm and 6pm UK time, I would need to be up between 4am and 10am, or if between the morning hours of 9am to 12pm UK time, I would need to be up between 1am and 4am, which would make it near impossible for communication between native BSL signers and me.

Edited by Usalabs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Latest Posts

    • I am the same - When I asked cambsdeaf they suggested choose a hand (preferably the one you would write with the most)  apparently it can get confusing so better just to choose one.  I chose left   but now i think ive made it more difficult as everyone else seems to sign the opposite. 
    • Hi, I'm at Uni aswell (though im 33!) I'm studying Early Childhood Studies about to start my second year in September alongside a new Teaching assistant job ! There's a few children who need further support and I have always wanted to learn BSL and I am happy to practice with you via computer! 
    • I'm Jackie or Jac , I would  like to understand  more about  sign language  and be able to converse at a basic level , hope maybe  someone  with a lot of patience can help me achieve  this 🤗
    • Im currently in uni in Leeds doing a course in childhood studies. Ive always wanted to learn BSL just never really had the time till now. Super excited with my progress but I haven't had the chance to practice it with another person so I don't actually know if im any good hahaha. If anyone is interested to practice over FT or discord or whatever let me know! 
    • Hello, im just starting to learn sign language, it’s hard to remember it all but I’m enjoying it.
    • Lol, I doubt I could teach you much, as I've already forgot most of it, and as they say, "if you don't use it, you lose it". and I haven't used BSL, in around 36 years, so much of it is lost, it just needs a refresher, to ignite it all. I would be interested in finding someone to 'refresh' my memory and to help build up speed.  My time zone is MST (Mountain Standard Time), which is currently 8hrs behind the UK, which would mean for the hours between 12pm and 6pm UK time, I would need to be
    • Hi, I’m Joy.  I’m a mum to two gorgeous boys aged 7 and 2. I have bad water damage to my left ear and so have self thought to lip read. However since masks have been in use I’ve felt so isolated as I can’t hear what people are saying so I just cut myself off. I was in a really bad place. I’ve since crawled my way back to feeling a little better and decided that I can’t let my hearing loss rule my life so here I am, trying very hard to learn BSL!
    • Hello everyone, I am still fairly new to BSL, so this might be a silly question, but I am a bit confused about the sentence structure. I'm doing the online course and in Lesson 3 I think, it said that the sentence structure is Object/Topic, Subject, Verb. But in Lesson 7 it's Time, Subject, Verb and Object.  Does that mean the structure is a bit less strict?    
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...