Hiya, 
I'm Ejay and a newbie to the forum. I have been partially deaf in my left ear since the age of 15, due to cancer.   I now have Meniere's Disease too, diagnosed approx 4 years ago, and both my ears are the same now.  I have lost low frequency and some high frequency noises.  I also have severe, loud tinnitus ( has got louder and louder over past 30 years).  I hear 4 different tones constantly, including pulsatile,  and one ear is slightly behind the other so it is like an echo. 

I have hearing aids, but despite specific setting supposed to help, they tend to amplify background noises too much and not help with conversation.  I can hear better in one to one conversation, but if there is background noise or more than one conversation in a room at a time, forget it.  However, if someone opens a packet of crisps at the opposite end of a noisy room, it is as if they did it right next to my ear!  I use a nebuliser several times a day or my eustachian tube gets blocked and my breathing, swallowing etc., become so loud I cannot hear anything else.  Ear pressure means I often feel as though I am underwater, and have vertigo.

I am wanting to learn BSL as I may lose my hearing completely, but also because speech is becoming increasingly difficult too, due to dysphagia caused by nerve damage from radiotherapy. I cannot eat or drink and I struggle with some facial expressions because of trismus and damage to facial nerves,  e.g. I cannot puff my cheeks or push one cheek out  with tip of tongue.  I am sure there must be others such as those who have had strokes, who must face similar challenge with BSL,  and I would love to hear how you adapt.

I home educate my youngest daughter, who is 11, and interested in joining the caring profession , so she is also eager to learn. We hope to do as much as we can online and then try to attend evening classes to complete official certified courses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello, I'm Sofie and I am hard of hearing I am learning BSL to communicate with more deaf and hard of hearing people.
    • hi alison some of your reasons to learn are the same as mine this is like you say such a fascinating language i cant wait too learn more and hopefully put it into practice good luck on your bsl yourney
    • Hi, nice to be here! I am learning bsl because I work supporting students at college and wish to be able to communicate better. Also this is a fascinating language to learn and I am just really interested! 
    • Nursery rhyme video for Signing Animation and Story, which increase language development, cultural connection, and speaking with engaging animations and relaxing tunes. which all are in one application.
    • I have always been really passionate about languages, and a few years ago I came across Christine Sun Kim Ted "The enchanting music of sign language" and it sparked my curiosity about SL. At that moment I knew nothing about it, I genuinely felt so surprised "how can it be that such a fascinating form of communication is so forgotten by the hearing folks???" A few years later after that (I had been working in improving and mastering my English), and especially since I am moving to Scotland i
    • Nice to meet you all! My name is Xenia Lopez and I am from Spain, but soon moving to the Scotland. I have been learning BSL for 4 months, and I wish to continue getting better. 
    • New courses online and in Central London announced for BSL Levels 1-6 - https://www.teachmesign.co.uk All courses are accredited by Signature and we offer interest-free payment plans. Please take a look at our website and get in touch if you have any further questions.
    • Hi, I'm learning  BSL, it is something  I've  always  been interested  in learning  sign language partly because  my son struggles to communicate sometimes  due to his Autism. Now a young boy has joined  our church and he is deaf and learning  to sign, I would  like to help him feel welcome.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker