Practice methods - best way to consolidate learning

Paddy

What is the best method to practice independently, and consolidate what I learned in the classroom?   Is it:

- watching signed videos, like the signed section on the iplayer
- memorising vocabulary lists
- interpreting from spoken/written English to BSL?

The best method is other people (hearing or deaf).  Unfortunately, I simply don't have access to enough people to consolidate what I learn.

I have a natural gift for sign languages.  I learn several times faster than the rest of my Level 1 class; so I find the rate of learning frustratingly slow.  After two lessons, the mother of a deaf adult asked if I was deaf such was my fluency.  There is nothing more challenging locally.  My exams finish this month (June 2019).  Level 2 does not begin until September 2019.  Intensive courses are not available here in Northern Ireland; and I cannot afford the travel & accommodation of doing one in England.

How do I progress this?  I mix with the deaf community locally.  However, I feel that it would be unreasonable to ask people to give up their time every week or more for the sake of random conversation to help me practice.  (I am recently off work, so I have a lot of time.)

After years of training, I want to be an interpreter.  I enjoy sign, there is big demand for it, and what I really love? 

Deaf people are direct.  I have Aspergers; I find it ridiculously confusing to understand the social rules of hearing people.  Deaf Culture has social rules too, I have found it much easier to navigate.

On 08/06/2019 at 20:03, AK Morris said:

i could not relate more i too have aspergers so now that i have found something i enjoy doing i want to do it a lot and practice and get it perfect but am struggling to be able to practice and become really good at it  

Hi, AK.  Looks like we're in the same boat.

For speaking practice, I will start by 'interpreting' something on the radio, which I can pause, sign a bit, then continue.

For receptive, it's more difficult to get practice material.  I'll stick with the iplayer for now.

Where do you live?  Which stage are you at in your BSL journey?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello, I'm Sofie and I am hard of hearing I am learning BSL to communicate with more deaf and hard of hearing people.
    • hi alison some of your reasons to learn are the same as mine this is like you say such a fascinating language i cant wait too learn more and hopefully put it into practice good luck on your bsl yourney
    • Hi, nice to be here! I am learning bsl because I work supporting students at college and wish to be able to communicate better. Also this is a fascinating language to learn and I am just really interested! 
    • Nursery rhyme video for Signing Animation and Story, which increase language development, cultural connection, and speaking with engaging animations and relaxing tunes. which all are in one application.
    • I have always been really passionate about languages, and a few years ago I came across Christine Sun Kim Ted "The enchanting music of sign language" and it sparked my curiosity about SL. At that moment I knew nothing about it, I genuinely felt so surprised "how can it be that such a fascinating form of communication is so forgotten by the hearing folks???" A few years later after that (I had been working in improving and mastering my English), and especially since I am moving to Scotland i
    • Nice to meet you all! My name is Xenia Lopez and I am from Spain, but soon moving to the Scotland. I have been learning BSL for 4 months, and I wish to continue getting better. 
    • New courses online and in Central London announced for BSL Levels 1-6 - https://www.teachmesign.co.uk All courses are accredited by Signature and we offer interest-free payment plans. Please take a look at our website and get in touch if you have any further questions.
    • Hi, I'm learning  BSL, it is something  I've  always  been interested  in learning  sign language partly because  my son struggles to communicate sometimes  due to his Autism. Now a young boy has joined  our church and he is deaf and learning  to sign, I would  like to help him feel welcome.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker