Hi! Tom from London, living in Vietnam

Tom Leigh

Hi! This forum looks pretty quiet, but I hope I can meet some people with the same interest as me.

My name’s Tom, I’m from London but have lived/worked in Hanoi for the past year and a half.

I actually have a question for everyone about BSL level 1, this seems like a good place to post it.

I’m travelling right now, back to the UK around May. I want to take the Level 1 BEFORE starting Uni in september.

The problem is, most courses are either very very long (24 weeks) or very very intense (6 days!).

I’ve found a few courses in-between (e.g: 3 days a week x 4 weeks OR 1 day a week x 11 weeks).

How long would you suggest, for a first-timer? I’m learning a foreign sign language but I have almost zero BSL. During this time I might work part-time, but the Level 1 will be my main focus.

What is the minimum length everyone would suggest, to really get to grips with the content? Thanks!

T

Hi Tom,

I’ve just done the training for level one online https://www.bslcourses.co.uk/

Basically you get videos to watch, then you have tutorials over skype when you are ready. You can take the actual qualification, but I am doing all of the courses including level 6, so you don’t need to do the exams if you don’t want to and just jump to the next level. This saves money too!

I’ve really enjoyed level 1 and the chap I had doing the tutorials was really nice. As for time, I think I needed the full week to practice using the signs and looking up some things in between too. I have 11 month old twins though, so time is a bit short for me! ? So if I was going to an actual course rather than online I would do the once a week.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum. I’ve been off for a few weeks with poorly babies, but try and check in most days. 

Cheers, Bec

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello, I'm Sofie and I am hard of hearing I am learning BSL to communicate with more deaf and hard of hearing people.
    • hi alison some of your reasons to learn are the same as mine this is like you say such a fascinating language i cant wait too learn more and hopefully put it into practice good luck on your bsl yourney
    • Hi, nice to be here! I am learning bsl because I work supporting students at college and wish to be able to communicate better. Also this is a fascinating language to learn and I am just really interested! 
    • Nursery rhyme video for Signing Animation and Story, which increase language development, cultural connection, and speaking with engaging animations and relaxing tunes. which all are in one application.
    • I have always been really passionate about languages, and a few years ago I came across Christine Sun Kim Ted "The enchanting music of sign language" and it sparked my curiosity about SL. At that moment I knew nothing about it, I genuinely felt so surprised "how can it be that such a fascinating form of communication is so forgotten by the hearing folks???" A few years later after that (I had been working in improving and mastering my English), and especially since I am moving to Scotland i
    • Nice to meet you all! My name is Xenia Lopez and I am from Spain, but soon moving to the Scotland. I have been learning BSL for 4 months, and I wish to continue getting better. 
    • New courses online and in Central London announced for BSL Levels 1-6 - https://www.teachmesign.co.uk All courses are accredited by Signature and we offer interest-free payment plans. Please take a look at our website and get in touch if you have any further questions.
    • Hi, I'm learning  BSL, it is something  I've  always  been interested  in learning  sign language partly because  my son struggles to communicate sometimes  due to his Autism. Now a young boy has joined  our church and he is deaf and learning  to sign, I would  like to help him feel welcome.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker