Just started learning BSL as I am losing my hearing and want to be able to communicate in future years. 

It seems a daunting task though so comments and tips appreciated thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Any tips or advice to help me with level one course.
    • What is the sign for "carer" (eg. I work as a carer)? Thanks! :)
    • Hi I'm Jill - a volunteer at Calke Abbey in Derbyshire - a National Trust property.  As part of our aim to be more inclusive for visitors, we have created a Signing Support Group to learn basic BSL so that we can interact better with our deaf visitors, and this course is part of that learning.
    • What does 'HEARING HEALTH' mean to you? Researchers in Manchester are starting an exciting new project to understand how different people view their hearing and their 'hearing health'.  We would like to inviteDeaf BSL users who live or work in Greater Manchester to come to a workshop to discuss their own views of hearing and hearing health. The workshop will be run by Celia Hulme (a Deaf researcher) and a visual artist. No experience of research necessary, it is your experience as a BSl user that is important! The meeting will be BSL user friendly.  Watch this BSL video about the project: https://bit.ly/2m2XuxB When: Monday 23rd September 2019 Time: 6pm - 8.30pm Where: Friends Meeting House, Central Manchester If you wish to book your place or want more information, contact Paolo Arru via email or text. [email protected] or 07816 447520  
    • Greetings to you all,  I will show you my name in the video, but for now I will tell you a bit about myself and why I took interest in BSL.  I'm profoundly deaf by birth and I graduated from deaf school, Sir James Whitney for the Deaf (SJW) which is the oldest deaf school in Canada as it is 146 years old. Only five years after Canadian Confederation as Canada celebrated its 150th anniversary last year. Even although I grew up in deaf school, I'm still learning ASL as I found out that there are few variations between the provinces when I moved from Alberta to Ontario. Alberta is a bit old fashioned with Sign Support English but Ontario use more different signs without using SSE, so that's why I felt ASL was a bit different to me even though I already grew up as my first language.   Now I go to Loyalist College to get a two year degree in General Arts & Science and after the graduation, I will apply for universities in UK for Anthropology & Archaeology and of course, I will move to England. As there's interpreters that uses BSL, so this is why I decided to buy the course on British-Sign.co.uk. Before that, I was already interested in learning BSL since my other school's teacher traveled to England and brought the letters from a deaf school in UK, also with the videos of the students signing BSL. As a child, I thought BSL was very cool and foreign but I had no use for it as I had no plans to go to England yet. Now as adult, I want to study and work in England and I look forward to meet people from the deaf community there with BSL I would know a bit by time because BSL is still cool to learn. Luckily I'm a signer already, I'm learning BSL quickly. I hope I become fluent by time I'm in UK and I can't wait.   
    • I am profoundly deaf from Canada and I use ASL (American Sign Language) which is VERY DIFFERENT from BSL, and I'm planning to move to England for university in few years after college. Since there's likely not interpreters in universities that use ASL as BSL is recognized as the minority language in England, I decided to learn BSL now and by time I move there, I would know enough already. BSL is very fun to learn and since I'm already a signer, I'm learning quickly. I look forward to improve my BSL with all of you and I can't wait to go to England to meet people from the deaf community. 
    • I play with Nerf guns as a hobby. I am part of the Britnerf community. For context, we collect, modify, customise and play with toy blasters which fire foam projectiles, often at regularly organised not for profit events. We use Nerf branded products along with xshot, home made and increasingly 3d printed blasters. Think of it as a cheaper, less cost intensive alternative to paintball which can be played almost anywhere. Anyway, as a games organiser, I wanted to get some advice on signs for some of the paraphinalia and terms associated with the hobby. Any suggestions or discussion is welcome. I just want to take some steps to making the hobby more inclusive. Brands associated with the hobby: Nerf, Hasbro, Xshot. General vocabulary: Nerf war, Nerf blaster/gun, Nerf dart, eye protection, zombie, base, respawn point.  There is much more I'd like to know, but I just wanted to put the above out there for a start.  Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    • Just started learning BSL as I am losing my hearing and want to be able to communicate in future years.  It seems a daunting task though so comments and tips appreciated thank you.  
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker