Sign in to follow this  
Michael Whitmill

New To BSL

Just about to start my level 1 BSL in Doncaster, looking forward to it and nervous at the same time, I will try and have a go at one these chats soon, I would like to help and work along side the deaf community one day but for now I look forward to meeting new people. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Hi there Am new to BSL and new to this site. I attend beginner class at my local college but it's not accredited. I can fingerspell but really struggle to 'read' fingerspelling!  Am working my way through learning vocabulary but only seem to retain a very small amount. Any help on offer greatly appreciated.  
    • Does anyone teach BSL IN local area of mother well or Glasgow for beginners .
    • I don't really have a need for BSL, however it has always intrigued me. I've tried to learn vocal languages with little success and now I'm trying a visual one in the hope that it's something I can get. So far it's going OK, but need loads od practice... Scott
    • Hi there. I'm Amy and I'm brand new to BSL, I'm currently going to weekly Level 1 classes. I already knew the alphabet as my Nana had a poster of the signs in her house but I've been wanting to learn BSL properly for most of my life really. I have only now been able to afford classes. My Nana is hard of hearing (80% deaf in one ear and 50% deaf in the other), and my dad is starting to lose his hearing more too. So mostly I'd like to learn it for them as my Nana knows some BSL and since starting this course my dad has said he's going to go on a course too. My hearing isn't great either, it's only gonna get worse, and I'm on the autistic spectrum so sometimes I feel non-verbal so I'm hoping BSL will help me in that aspect too. Anyway I've waffled for long enough. Nice to meet y'all.
    • Hello! My name is Cecylia and I'm a doctor, trying to learn BSL in my spare time. I've learned the basics of ASL but since moving to the UK, I've had to start from scratch - but well worth the effort. I hope to be able to communicate with my patients without the use of an interpreter in the near future! 
    • Hi  My name is David, I am new to BSL and really quite bad at it after 5/6 weeks at a evening class in Poole Dorset.  
    • Hello, I'm a newbie to BSL and have been trying my hardest to my best. I started learning BSL because I have a non-verbal cousin who uses BSL, and I just want to talk to him really. It also should help me become a better teaching assistant.
    • I have always been interested in learning to sign, but became really dedicated to learning BSL properly when I met my partner who is deaf; although she communicates really well verbally she also likes to use BSL alongside this, and sometimes this is an easier way for us to communicate depending what setting were in/noise levels etc. As well as this my partner has a lot of deaf friends who all use BSL, so through starting this course it enables me to communicate with them a lot better and understand what's being said in conversations, although I'm still getting used to how fast some people sign! I am also starting a Nursing degree soon, so feel being able to sign would be beneficial for my career and for supporting/ interpreting for those that do have a hearing impairment   
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker