AnnieD

Hi there

Am new to BSL and new to this site. I attend beginner class at my local college but it's not accredited. I can fingerspell but really struggle to 'read' fingerspelling!  Am working my way through learning vocabulary but only seem to retain a very small amount. Any help on offer greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AnnieD, I find my self in a very similar situation with BSL. I have the alphabet more or less down and am trying to move on to greetings and family on the course I’m on but forget almost everything in real life encounters. 

My availability is a bit chaotic but should always be free a few hours late/ early morning (24:00-03:00) and on my work days off throughout the day if people plan a time to practice. I am new to this style of learning and a little nervous in conversations but hope everything goes well. So if anyone would like to get in contact Of a similar level I’m glad to try work out a time if I’m able. I want to post my unit topics along with the period I’ll be revising the material over for anyone interested in practicing old signs or learning new ones.

good luck all 

Hi! I'm in the same boat, very new to BSL and need some practice. I'm learning for work as we work with a lot of volunteers with different abilities and needs, and want to be able to include anybody who is hard of hearing or deaf. I'm doing an online course which covers the basics, as the Level 1 courses were too expensive for me at the moment. I can just about say "Hello, how are you?" and "my name is Francesca" but that's about it! Really enjoying learning BSL but know that I need to practice for anything else to stick in my brain!