Sign in to follow this  
Gemma Pierce

Why I am learning BSL?

I am a Learning Support Assistant for a PLMD/ASD school. and already use Makaton whilst in my role which I find fascinating.

I am currently learning BSL because it is sometime to pass the time whilst being at home, I am a critical key worker but as we only have 9 students that are in at the moment only a select few of us are needed at the moment. 

I thought it would be a good idea to brush up on other ways of communicating, I do not have any hearing impaired friends or family as yet, but would like to be able to communicate with them, and make them feel like they are included in the conversation 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Hi, I'm Hayley. I am a student midwife. I decided to learn sign language so I can communicate with women and their families that use sign. Communication is a key part of my role and I felt being able to communicate through sign would benefit my practice and hopefully the experience of women and families i meet in the future. 😊
    • Hi Jeanie,  I started this course for the exact same reason, in a second year placement there was a boy in the class who was profoundly deaf and so communicating with him was a major barrier, he was my motivation to do this course. How long have you been teaching for? I would be really interested to hear how teaching sign to your children goes. what year group do you teach? I'm an NQT without a post yet. I really want to intro sign to phonics lessons when children are learning their sounds.
    • My partners almost 3 years old grandson has just been diagnosed as severely disabled, I don't know the ins and outs yet but basically he will never speak beyond basic sounds. His hearing at present seems to be unaffected. I introduced the family to baby sign last year when I met my partner and he'd told me about some of his grandsons issues, he's picked up a few signs. My question is where do we go from here? Is there a course to learn Makaton or should we go straight into BSL? Th
    • Hello! I'm also a London librarian, so nice to 'meet' you! I signed up to this course, as I did BSL (Grade 1) years ago, and wanted to brush up my skills.
    • Hello! I'm just wondering how to describe the decades in which people were born? If I was born in the 1980s or 80s, how would I sign that? Also, when describing when things happened, how would you sign the year? For anything really old, like the 1800s, how would you sign that time period? I've been practicing my numbers and currency, but haven't come across how to sign decades and periods. Thanks, Gabi
    • I think that is a wonderful reason for doing this course.  
    • I have just started the online course and had been meaning to do it for a while.  I wanted to learn as I am a teacher and it is such a useful skill to have to be able to communicate more widely.  I think I will be teaching my class to sign soon! Jean
    • Hi Rubes123 I think thats great.. good luck at uni.   
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker