Hello :) Educator Learning New Skills

hello everyone,

I am an educator learning BSL as part of a development into inclusion for deaf students in mainstream education. I have a interest in learning Film making/Media BSL as that is the course level that I teach :) so any suggestions or hints or tips are greatly appreciated :)

many thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• I am a teacher that has decided to practice sign language with a group of students that do not wish to learn Spanish. I signed up to the BSL course so that I can give them basic lessons in communication in another language. The aim is too introduce them to a wider world and to get them to be more inclusive. I also get to learn a new language in the process. There is the added benefit that the children will be able to talk as much as they like in class without making a sound.
    • Hello all, hope you're doing well!  I've always wanted to learn sign language, not just because I love learning new languages and as a visual / kinaesthetic learner I find the process of learning signs very enjoyable, but also because I want to be able to ensure that I can communicate with people who don't wish to / cannot speak with their voice. Everyone has a right to feel comfortable in conversation, and to be able to communicate with anyone they wish to, so I hope to contribute towards making that a reality. Hopes for the future aside, I am 16 (nearly 17) years old, and a student.  Wishing you all luck on your signing journeys!    
    • Hello, I am Becci. I am 34 years old and am learning BSL as a way to help communicate with my daughter who has noonan syndrome. My daughter is hearing but her speech can be difficult to understand. She is only 7 years old but uses makaton which I have been using with her since she was a toddler. I am also looking into BSL as a potential career option or even just something to have on my cv.
    • I am learning this with my Mum   
    • Hi, my name is Alice and I’m a (currently unemployed) secondary school English teacher who is originally from west Wales. I’ve been living in Ireland for two years now and hadn’t really thought much about BSL. I knew that it was a good skill to have and that it might help in schools where there were hearing impaired students, but I honestly didn’t really think it was something that I would ever learn. Then in January, my sister-in-law gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. Unfortunately his birth was a traumatic one and he was very poorly at the start of his life. He spent his first few weeks in hospital, but eventually pulled through and was deemed well enough to go home. However, as a result of his traumatic birth, he was diagnosed with moderate to severe deafness in one ear and moderate deafness in the other one. He does have some hearing, but the deaf team told my brother and his wife that they should learn BSL to help him. He has since been fitted with hearing aids, which have greatly enhanced his world. Although I’m now in Ireland, I thought that as his auntie that I should also learn BSL, as it’s a fantastic skill to have and I’d love to be able to fully communicate with my nephew when he’s older. So, I signed up to the online BSL course and here I am. 👋🏽
    • Hi I'm Lucy and just started learning BSL. I graduated university last year and live in Dorset. Always wanted to learn BSL because I have an interest in disability advocacy and digital accessibility. Having leanring difficulties myself means I am aware of the some of the barriers people may face and I just wanted to expand my knowledge.
    • We're all the same Rachel which is why this is a good place. I tried getting someone to learn with me so we could practice but no interest. And Lisa, I'm the same. I want to be able to talk to everyone I can. Both videos really good. At least we can do it safely here and critique without insults  
    • Hi everyone! I have been learning BSL from the BSL online course, its great to see so many people have taken up the course too! I am interested in sign language as I am a primary school teacher. I did a placement in a school with an additional deaf unit. This made me realise how important it is to be able to communicate with everyone and to include everyone. I have been enjoying the course so far!   Lisa  
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker