Deaf awareness week and makaton

Hi . I work in a large public faced organisation where lots of staff have been learning makaton . I sign ( limited ) both BSL and makaton and have been asked my opinion on whether they should promote that they are “makaton friendly” during Deaf  Awareness Week  in May . I’ve said no. Reasoning that it’s a week to promote Deaf Awareness and that makaton comes from BSL not the other way around.
What do other people think ? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• So i just started learning bsl and i use my left hand as my dominant hand when signing.  do this because I learn by mimicking the the videos i watch directly. Using my left hand feels most comfortable but i write with my right hand? I also use my right hand to sign the alphabet but my left hand to sign number because. Also even though i would like to use my left i feel like right handed is easier to read? i cant do it the other way round Is this ok? And is it possible to train myself to use my right hand when signing to become dominant?
    • Hi everyone.  I am new here and a complete beginner.  I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in the Great Yarmouth area where I can practice please?   Thank you everyone    Alistair 
    • So i just started learning bsl and i use my left hand as my dominant hand when signing.  do this because I learn by mimicking the the videos i watch directly. Using my left hand feels most comfortable but i write with my right hand? Is this ok?
    • Hello! My name is Tara and I am 23 years old. I've always wanted to learn sign language but struggle to motivate myself - are there places to chat with people or does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
    • Hi all i am learning a lot from song signing. Is there anyone else that does this?  would like to learn Visiting Hours by Ed Sheeran. The one on YouTube is to hard to follow.  can anyone sign this?  Thanks all
    • I'm Laura, I'm 24 and I live in Scotland. I've wanted to learn BSL for a wee while, and I saw the introductory course was available so decided to jump in! I work in a nursery and plan to go on to study speech and language therapy, so this will definitely be a worthwhile course. ☺️
    • Building squeeze page before building opt-in business consumer email list The landing-age is imperative, and it should be appealing enough to grab the consideration of visitors. 'Squeeze Page' is not a site, but it is a single web page with little detail for consumer email list the sole aim of attracting audience to subscribe to the offer.If one does not have e-books to use product, they can find free e-books on the internet to download. Once, one has selected the product, they are all prepared to go to next aspect which incorporates receiving consumer email list service to get prospect details. One just needs an consumer email list program as it makes the process much easier. Some common features of corespondent services are unrestricted number of auto-res ponders consumer email list, scheduled mailings and personalized web forms.promises that range from questionable to outright nonsense. You must have perseverance when building your first consumer email list. All too often new marketers come online full of vim and vigor, powered up by promises of untold wealth to be made in short order online,    The reason for creating opt-in business consumer email list is to get e-mail addresses and names of individuals in exchange for helpful detail they may need.  Before long, these would-be online super-stars are frustrated, disillusioned and demotivated by their lack of results in building an consumer email list.  
    • I've wanted to learn BSL for a while for several reasons: partially because I would like to be able to communicate with Deaf people better in the workplace and partially to be more inclusive in social settings such as church.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker