Hi I'm Harriett I'm 22 years old and live in Leicester. I have decided to learn Sign Language as I am aware that during COVID-19 the fact that we have to wear masks makes it increasingly difficult for people who have hearing impairments to communicate (especially as they cannot lip read). By learning Sign Language I may be able to help someone to communicate. I am also studying to be a Teacher and think it is important that I know some Sign Language for that too. 

Edited by Harriett Alice Thraves

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• Iris, you have posted some interesting questions, and a couple of them could be expanded considerably. I would like to respond at length but not just now. I'll try and do so in a week or so. Are we permitted to communicate outside the forum? [email protected]  
    • Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum and thought I'd share my own reasoning for beginning to learn BSL. My interest in learning sign language was initially peaked by seeing others using it as a form of communication whilst out in public, and figuring that although I do not have any friends or family who are hard of hearing or deaf, it would be a valuable life skill to acquire. I first picked up BSL last summer but didn't persist with it for long and have only recently recommitted to learning BSL within the last few days.  I am a 20 year old student and recently started working at a Starbucks in the same city that I attend university. Yesterday was the first time I encountered a deaf customer whilst working. I was not the staff member who served her, however when I handed her her drink she tried to communicate to me that she wanted sugar for it (purely non-verbal, motioning as though tipping sugar into the mug). I was initially caught off-guard as my current knowledge of BSL is extremely basic to the point where I would not be confident to hold a conversation, and I (stupidly) replied to her verbally before realising that we were both wearing masks so she had no hope of lip reading my attempt of asking if she wanted brown or white sugar. Realising this, I instead just asked her how many she wanted by holding up fingers sequentially, then grabbed the one sugar she wanted, handed it to her, and nervously contemplated signing "thank you" (one of the few signs I do have down to memory), though by the time I had even thought about it she had taken her drink and walked away. The entire situation has breathed into me a new sense of enthusiasm for learning BSL, knowing that with my new job there may be opportunities to apply my learning in a practical setting, as well as potentially make new friends and having a valuable pastime to commit myself to.  Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and feel free to leave general advice in regards to learning, I am currently following the British-Sign BSL course. 
    • I love to meet people and make friends, but when it comes to the deaf community I feel like there's a wall between me and thousands of people. I could miss out on future friends or partners or anyone who might enrich my life just because of my own ignorance. It's nice to think that learning BSL will help others and I hope it does, but I doubt anyone will benefit more from me learning sign language than I will.  I'm moving to the UK soon. If I were to move to Germany or France I would make a concerted effort to learn the language. Since I already speak English as my first language, I'm lucky that I can put that effort into learning BSL instead. I hope that it will benefit me and also allow me to be a better member of the society I wish to join and integrate with.
    • Hi, there is actually a sign for dyslexia!  Both left and right hands making a 'C' shape with thumb and index finger in front of your chest area (a bit like how you would sign 'word') and overlapping them x2 to show that the words are mixed together.  Hope this helps :)
    • What sign language(s) do you use?   Irish spelling, which I prefer to BSL because it is more elegant and also forms words in BSL, for example 10, (ten) can be expressed with an Irish 't' and is unambiguous to waving 5 fingers which can mean 5th, or 5O'clock. But then context should always be defined first Do you sometimes struggle to communicate with people that don’t know sign language? How do you usually overcome this? How often do you often encounter signs that you don’t know? How often do you experience that you use different signs than other people that use the same sign language? I have never spoken to a deaf person How much would you say your sign language depends on mouth movement and body language ?(just a percentage is enough)   70% Was it hard for you to learn sign language? / Was it hard for you to learn a spoken language?   Yes, I am learning sign language to improve my English sentence structure, conjugation and tenses. What is the most important difference between sign languages and spoken languages?   err, one is signed and one is spoken? I don't really understand what you are asking. Do you use sayings that come from spoken languages in your sign language?   Yes, I can not separate idioms, religious expressions,  Have you ever tried to communicate with another signing person that doesn’t know the same sign language? If so, what sign language and how much did you understand? No, not that advanced,
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker