Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone,
My name is Nicola and like a few of you I have been thinking that given the current situation, its a great opportunity to learn something new. I am going to sign up for the introductory course in the next day or two, and would like to find one or two people that would be willing to Skype with me so that I can practice.

I did a little bit of signing when I was a child, but did not keep it up; so I can remember bits of the alphabet and odd words, but hopefully looking forward to actually doing some structured learning.

From those of you that are a little further ahead than me, I'd be really interested to hear how much self-study time you tend to put in, so that I can set myself some realistic goals.

Thanks 😃

Posted

Hello Nicola, 

My name is Molly I have recently signed up to an online course, I am really enjoying it. I would love to find someone I can practice with. I don't know what a realistic amount of time would be, I have been putting a lot of time in recently due to the current situation I don't have much else on.

 

 

Posted

I have just signed up to Introduction to BSL via the BSL website, although I know there are several courses available. I would be happy to practice with you. I will understand though, if you want me to catch up with you a little. I have not started yet.

Posted

Hello, 

I have signed up to app.BSL courses. The course is split into 8 modules, after each module you have a ten minute a one to one video call with a tutor. So far I have learnt names, general greetings, asking where you're from, weather and numbers to one hundred. It doesn't matter what level you're at I'm sure any practice would be useful for up both. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...