Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi, my name’s Niamh Costello and I’m 18. I’ve wanted to learn sign language for a long time but I don’t know if it’s possible. I was born with 3 fingers on my right hand so my dominant hand is my left. I’ve been trying to teach myself the finger spelling as a start but many of them come out the same (like e, i, o), only because of the lack of fingers. Is there a way I can get round this? Like doing it right-handed for those letters, and doing it left-handed for everything else?

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Hi, I learnt Level 1 earlier in the year and I'm currently studying towards level 2. I am right handed but wanted to teach some BSL to a friend of mine who is Left Handed so switched the alphabet around quite easily (With the exception of a couple of letters, which I had to think about).

I've also watched other left handed people sign and often forget they are signing left handed until it comes to fingerspelling. Although fingerspelling seems a bit part of BSL early on, I have found that the more I progress the less I am actually fingerspelling because you learn signs for everything. On level 2 the only time you use fingerspelling is for names of people, a few places that don't already have their own signs and Brands that don't have their own signs.

I have also seen people sign one handed (I find this hard to follow, but I'm still a beginner), Example of this is when someone has a cup in their non dominant hand so instead of signing directly on each finger, they point/swipe etc in the general direction (I've done it with my own name and it's easy to do but may be difficult to follow)

I am sure there are many people out there with varying obstacles to overcome in order to learn BSL so I would say it was 100% possible to learn

Best thing to do if you are considering starting a course is to have a chat with the Tutor before joining and ask them the best way to go about it for you specifically

I hope this helps - Good luck with the learning

Esther

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...