Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone! 

I am a non-native English speaker, but I moved to the UK when I was 16 and spent my formative years here. I had my first encounter with BSL back in 2015 when I did a free internship at a non-profit that specialised in connecting BSL interpreters with those who needed their assistance. 

I currently work for the University of London, and for the first time in my life I have a couple of deaf colleagues. I looked back at my university experience and decided to pick up BSL. Although my colleagues use hearing aids and don't need me to sign to communicate, I thought it would be nice to have the option to do so. 

Also as a bilingual person, I can understand how challenging communication can be when you mishear things. I've always relied very heavily on facial expressions, especially in my early years in the UK when I didn't know every word Brits used or every slang word, and especially when I befriended people with stronger accents. I think everyone in my family has relatively weak hearing: I noticed struggling to understand colleagues speaking even my native language if they spoke too quietly or while turned away from me. During the pandemic I struggled to understand the people around me, especially if they wore a mask and spoke quietly, since I couldn't rely on their facial expression and fill in the blanks by guessing what they'd said. 

Another reason to pick up BSL is my job. I am a content officer, and a big part of my role specifically is filming videos. Now, when we're on set and recording an interview, I sometimes have to communicate with my colleagues without making a sound - telling them to move the camera, check the focus, reframe the shot etc. I hope to teach them some signs one day so we can do this efficiently and improve our filming on the spot without having to interrupt the speaker on camera. 

I think BSL would be great to learn for anyone who has to work in a loud environment or can't make a noise but has to communicate nevertheless. I wish I'd started learning it a bit sooner, but then again, I'm not sure it would have helped if the shop assistants and people outside of Deaf community didn't understand me. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...