Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello, 

My name is Rob and I’m a third year product design student at Academy of Art University. I’m working on a product that will help to eliminate communication barriers between Sign speakers and non-Sign speakers. I was wondering If I could take a moment and get some feedback on questions I have as part of my research. I know there are various reasons why someone may choose to use Sign language, so please approach the questions from your own perspective.

 

  1. When encountered with the issue of not being able to use Sign to communicate, what alternatives do you take?

    • How does using the alternative instead of Sign make you feel?

    • Do you feel like you encounter this problem quite often?

    • What would you change about these encounters if you could?

  2. Would you use a wearable device if it allowed for transparent communication between Sign and non-Sign speakers?

    • If Yes: What type of device would you prefer?

    • If No: What about a wearable device don’t you like?

    • If Maybe: Can you elaborate on why you feel this way?

  3. What are common issues that Sign speakers have when socializing with non-Sign speakers?

    • What would improve the situation?

    • What would make the situation worse?

    • What about these situations do non-Sign speakers not realize?

  4. How does traveling globally affect Sign speakers? Is the difficulty communicating the same as verbal communication or worse?

    • Are there any particular Sign languages that are exceptionally difficult?

    • English could be considered a global language as the majority of the world can speak it. Is there a Sign language that is similar?

    • What extra challenges does traveling by yourself come with?

  5. What is the best way to get more non-Sign speakers learning Sign?

    • What do you think stops more people from learning Sign?

    • If you learned Sign to communicate with a DHH person, can you share what method you used and how well that method worked for you?

    • Could an interactive game be utilized to learn Sign?

 

I appreciate everyone who takes the time to respond to these questions. I need 15 expert opinions to use in my project, so if you kindly leave your Name and Age, along with why you use Sign. That would be amazing, feel free to ask me any questions about my project that you'd like. Thank you Again, I can’t wait to hear back from everyone.

Apologies If this is the wrong place to post, feel free to send me in the right direction.

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...