Jump to content

Looking for people with hearing/speech impairments to share their personal experiences!


Recommended Posts

Posted

I haven’t had in-depth conversations with anyone who had to use sign language their whole life owing to the fact that I haven't met many, and even the ones I did, I just didn't. So, I will ask my questions here:

  • I know there's no other option, but I am more interested in the logistics part--how did you learn sign language as a person with hearing/speech impairments? Since language (any mode of communication) works on consensus, what was your formal training in sign language?

  • In the process of learning it, did it ever feel as if it was coming naturally to you? or rather, the sign language being at odds with your natural expressive instincts? "If I didn't do this thing, I would have signaled it in a different way" experiences.

  • The above questions are a sort of setting up questions for my actual question. It's about the personal variations of it. More than regional variations (if any that is), I am more interested in personal variations i.e., you signal a specific thing or a feeling differently than the larger populace because your parents did it that way or you were used to it that way since you were a kid or whatever. Since they are very common in English or any other language, how common and how frequent are they in sign language?

Forgive me if I have used offensive language anywhere, I earnestly tried not to. Any and all answers are appreciated, even directions to other appropriate forums I can ask this in!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...