Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello All!!

I started my ASL journey for my now 8-year-old daughter.  She is hearing (as am I), but she has a speech delay. She picked up on the signs her speech therapist would use quickly. My husband and I knew then that this would be another mode of communication for her. She now uses her AAC device, ASL, and she is still advancing gradually with trying to speak words. I started the journey for her, and as I moved into an intermediate course, I knew that the more I learned, the more I could teach her. I desire to strengthen my signing and facial expressions in this community, and I hope that my example will inspire more parents to add ASL as a mode of communication for their speech-delayed children. 

I look forward to growing and practicing here. 🙂

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

That’s wonderful! Starting ASL for your daughter is such a meaningful way to support her communication, and it’s great that she’s already picking up signs alongside her AAC device. Learning alongside her not only strengthens your own skills but also models communication in a natural, encouraging way. Focusing on facial expressions and fluid signing will make your interactions even richer, and your example could definitely inspire other parents to explore ASL with their children. This community sounds like a great place to grow and practice together.

 
 
 
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...