Sign in to follow this  
Holly Smiles

Hi, Im a BSL newbie

Hi, My name is Holly, I'm 22 from Essex. I decided to start learning BSL- its always something I've been eager to learn and believe it should start being taught in schools. I finally decided to learn BSL when I because Cabin crew with EasyJet last year. I was able to communicate with a blind lady during her brief but I felt like as much as a blind passenger can see what's happening onboard none of us can communicate properly with them which I found a shame. I originally only set out to learn basic signs for onboard however I just never got round to learning it. Thankfully or unthankfully during this isolation I found It the perfect time to learn not just basic onboard signs but actual signs which will help even more. Unlike other spoken European languages its not a common we always carry deaf/blind passenger so its not for extra money- if it was I'd learn Spanish😆 but I believe its a really useful tool to know and I just need to try keep on top of it once if completed so I don't forget parts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Yes I love this idea, I am beginning my PGCE in September and would love to see more of British Sign Language in Mainstream schools
    • Hi All, I have a deer best friend so started learning sign but I now work with children in gymnastics that require sign so am furthering my knowledge 
    • Hi all! I'm Cherise and I've started learning BSL so that I can interact with more people. I have cousins that are deaf and hard of hearing and I'd love to be able to talk to them in their language rather than relying on lipreading as I have been (very lazy of me!) I've always wanted to learn and find that I now have the time to start.  Happy learning to you all and I hope to connect with some of you 😊
    • I have just started the online BSL course, I’m a complete beginner but I am enjoying it and hoping I can put it to use in the future. :)
    • Hi I'm learning BSL as I work with people with dual sensory loss.
    • Hi, How would I ask someone whether they liked something? For example, do you like rugby?  Thanks!
    • I have just finished with lesson 3 and thought I would try to introduce myself a little. I have looked through a few videos to get an idea of what I could say...so thanks esp Hannah White! I only got interested in BSL since my 5year old was learning three signs a week with homeschooling and I seemed to enjoy learning with him. Thought I would give it a real shot. Please let me know what you think.