I have always had a fascination with sign language since I was a child but never really got a chance to learn more than the alphabet in primary school. I want to further my learning of this language as it will also help me to become more a part of the d/Deaf community. I have severe hearing loss in one ear so I likely won't ever need BSL as my primary mode of communication but it would definitely be helpful, especially around others who speak it. Since getting my first hearing aid (finally, that's too long of a journey to explain here) I have felt more like this is a community I belong in and so want to learn more about it and be able to communicate with people who speak BSL.

I signed up to a course in September but university work piled up so it took a back seat but now that it's summer, I can't wait to get on with learning the language. As someone who loves language in general, it seemed like a natural progression as a good language to learn as it has it's basis in English so it's not completely different and will be nice to learn along side French as it is significantly easier in my opinion. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• What sign language(s) do you use?   Irish spelling, which I prefer to BSL because it is more elegant and also forms words in BSL, for example 10, (ten) can be expressed with an Irish 't' and is unambiguous to waving 5 fingers which can mean 5th, or 5O'clock. But then context should always be defined first Do you sometimes struggle to communicate with people that don’t know sign language? How do you usually overcome this? How often do you often encounter signs that you don’t know? How often do you experience that you use different signs than other people that use the same sign language? I have never spoken to a deaf person How much would you say your sign language depends on mouth movement and body language ?(just a percentage is enough)   70% Was it hard for you to learn sign language? / Was it hard for you to learn a spoken language?   Yes, I am learning sign language to improve my English sentence structure, conjugation and tenses. What is the most important difference between sign languages and spoken languages?   err, one is signed and one is spoken? I don't really understand what you are asking. Do you use sayings that come from spoken languages in your sign language?   Yes, I can not separate idioms, religious expressions,  Have you ever tried to communicate with another signing person that doesn’t know the same sign language? If so, what sign language and how much did you understand? No, not that advanced,
    • Hello Oliver, yes it really is interesting stuff the guy who invented it got an MBE i believe or something to that extent.  another reason strangely enough, was when my children were younger, they used to like watching Mr tumble (Justin Fletcher) to which i also believe uses it as well. There was also this funny story that intrigued me, and that was, good old Justin was teaching the kids swear words in sign language, he got into a bit of trouble for that but i find it hilarious just thinking about it.
    • Dearest apologies, but the event will be postponed to 4:10pm due to personal matters, apologies everyone.  
    • Session will last 1 hour, if room overfills use the over rooms!    
    • Hello, Everyone! Ekito here,  Let's organise a video chat to help each other's signing skills! There is no specific requirement regarding your signing skills, Please behave yourself & respect others Meeting time & room Mixed signing room, https://www.signlanguageforum.com/bsl/bsl-video-chat-rooms/ [Friday, July 23rd, 2021, 2:10pm]   If anyone wishes to join and/or organise another video-meeting, please feel free to comment and follow topics  
    • Hi, Clare! It's nice to see you post! Welcome to the BSL Forum, I know it's not much of an official welcome, but I hope I helped you feel welcome ^^    
    • Hello, my name is Clare and I work for Marie Curie where a number of us are learning BSL. I already knew a very small bit of BSL from a Deaf friend I went to school with but I am excited to be learning more  
    • Hello Kerri, would be great to practise, afternoons are usually best for me.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker