Confused which is my dominant hand?

alex_willbeok

So i just started learning bsl and i use my left hand as my dominant hand when signing.  do this because I learn by mimicking the the videos i watch directly. Using my left hand feels most comfortable but i write with my right hand? I also use my right hand to sign the alphabet but my left hand to sign number because. Also even though i would like to use my left i feel like right handed is easier to read? i cant do it the other way round

Is this ok? And is it possible to train myself to use my right hand when signing to become dominant?

I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much! I write with my left hand, but sign right hand dominant. Deaf people can still understand the signs (as long as you're making them clear) whether it's left handed or right handed signing. I would try to practice one dominant hand though, as it makes learning a little easier so you know which hand you need to use in conversation.

Just go with what feels the most comfortable for you to use, and you'll gradually stick to one hand dominant. It's what I had to do! And I still use my left hand for certain signs when I shouldn't lol

Really hope this helped you ☺️