Nicola1972

Honest advice please

Hi I've been seriously considering learning BSL for some time now but I have a question which I hope doesn't offend anyone or make me sound too stupid! I always struggled with learning foreign languages at school which was some years ago now.  I'm afraid I'll still have that mental block.  Or is the whole nature of learning BSL totally different? I can more or less read basic French (enough to get a gist) but struggle speaking and really can't understand when someone talks to me. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello,  I just wished to say why I am learning BSL. I am a dance teacher and am learning BSL so that any student can come to my lessons and learn the art of dance, no matter how much they can hear or their ability. It is something that anyone should be able to enjoy no matter if they are a child or an adult and I wish to be able to make my school as inclusive as possible for all those that wish to learn the art of dance.  
    • Hi everyone, my name is Angela. I started studying BSL a month ago and i’m  enjoying it very much.  
    • Hi! I’m from Melton Mowbray and I’d love to learn the sign name for the town if anyone here knows it. 🙂 (Maybe it’s a pork pie, haha!)
    • Hi I'm Lou and I'm training as a Primary School Teacher from September. I had a previous placement in a SEN school where I learnt some Makaton and I really enjoyed this and found it useful. I wanted to expand on this and learn some BSL over the summer - a skill that could both support my teaching and be shared with my class.
    • I thought that you may like to see a video - produced during the lockdown - featuring 200 young musicians from the Chiltern Music Academy performing a song called 'There's a Power in the Music' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLyQSzvLxU The video incudes one of our students who is currently learning to sign. For more information about Chiltern Music Academy visit www.chilternmusicacademy.org Thank you Andy  
    • Hi, my name is Emma and I decided to start the BSL introducing sign language course this summer. I believe everyone has the right to communicate and as an aspiring solicitor I would love to be able to assist all the clients I may have in the future. This course means I will have a better chance of being able to advise clients who may be hard of hearing or have complete hearing loss. 
    • Hi all, I am a Teaching assistant in an FS2 class from September and will be providing SEND support to pupils with various needs, including communication difficulties.  I am trying to learn BSL to help these children communicate more effectively
    • I'm about to start as a Child/Mental Health Nurse and already have a degree in Psychology and Counselling. I'm studying this for a few reasons; to help in my future placements as a nurse, to help my husband learn as he's losing his hearing and to help my daughter who is autistic and struggles with facial social cues. BSL has been proven to help with autistic's language learning (spoken and non-spoken) whether they be verbal or non-verbal, that's probably the main reason I'm here.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker