EstherA

Hello from Esther in Wiltshire

Hi,

My name is Esther and I studied Level 1 in Bristol earlier this year and started Level 2 in Bath in September.

I first learnt a little bit of BSL when I was about 9 or 10 - I found the BSL alphabet in the back of a dictionary and taught myself and then my brother so we could talk without my parents knowing what we were saying :D. I have been fascinated ever since and have learnt odd signs here and there from people or the internet.

When my son was little I taught him the alphabet and together we learnt a few useful words (Toilet, so he didn't have to yell out where he was going) and some useful shopping words such as Milk, Cheese and bread

I love learning BSL but do struggle with Receptive skills so always on the look out for recommendations re resources, websites, videos, clips etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello has anyone done their level 2 bsl. I just wanted to know how different it is to level 1 and how did you find the exams. Guess I’m just really nervous and wanted a little insight if anyone has done the level 2 
    • Hello I’m looking to do level 2 bsl and was just wondering where you did ur level 2. Did u do an online course and if so how did you find it for learning? 
    • @VanessaH @Shellie yes the meetings still occur on zoom. We have done 3 meetings in total so far. The schedule is still the same. However for this week only there might be a slight change. But I will update this thread once I have confirmation. 
    • Hi my name is Jenny.  I am a mainstream primary school intervention teacher and speech therapy coordinator.  I have a good knowledge in Makaton but want to learn BSL so I can support our hearing impaired children and their parents/carers. 
    • Hello, my name is Caroline, I am 38 and from Newport. I will be going to college in September to study childcare and health and social care. I believe that BSL should be taught compulsory in all schools from nursery age. My youngest was in nursery with a lovely young boy who had become deaf, he relied on his friends being able to sign to communicate. This is what prompted me to uptake BSL. 
    • Hello Would love to join in this chat if that's okay. I've been learning BSL for about 3 months and would love some practice.
    • Hi, my name is Misha and I am learning BSL for many reasons but my main one is so that I can communicate with customers at work who use BSL as their first language 
    • Hi, my name is Sheryl. I am learning BSL because I want to be able to talk to people, and to help make people feel understood. I look forward to learning more.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker