Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi there, I work with a sight loss charity and come into contact with some people who are Deaf or hearing impaired from time to time.  BSL has always fascinated me.  I find myself watching the interpreter rather than presenters at conferences.  To be able to communicate with people better and not exclude them, I decided to look into learning BSL.  It would be good to have a buddy to practice with from time to time.  I'm only beginner level though (currently on module 4 of the online course).

Posted

Hi, I am a young teenager and i have always been fascinated with sign language. I first got into this program through my church because I, along with a few others, do makaton along with the songs to support the community of disabled people in our church. I wanted to further my understanding of sign language so i joined this program. My new years revolution this year was to practice more and i was just wandering if you had any tips on how to stay motivated to practice more?

Posted

Hi Bella, I think the best way to keep up with practice is to book time in with a buddy each week or month so there is a dedicated slot/reminder.  I'm happy to buddy with you.  I work full time and am a carer for three people, so it can be quite tricky to find time for me.  That said, I'm keen to break the cycle and do something about practicing.  Please get in touch with me if you would like to take up this offer.

Posted

Hi :) I just joined here today so thought I would introduce myself. I started learning BSL years ago through university but left university after my first year to become cabin crew and it is my one regret that I did not carry on learning, so I made it my new years goal to start again! I have worked as a SEND teaching assistant and support worker for 15 years and have used Makaton and SSE throughout this role so have managed to retain some of the signs etc. I now work as an apprenticeship skills coach and a neurodiversity inclusion trainer and really want to be able to learn BSL, not only for myself to be able to communicate with BSL users but, also to make sure that I can offer fully inclusive training services. I am keen to meet people who I can learn from and practice with and would love to become involved in events etc within the Deaf community. 

I look forward to connecting with people :) 

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...