Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hiya, 
I'm Ejay and a newbie to the forum. I have been partially deaf in my left ear since the age of 15, due to cancer.   I now have Meniere's Disease too, diagnosed approx 4 years ago, and both my ears are the same now.  I have lost low frequency and some high frequency noises.  I also have severe, loud tinnitus ( has got louder and louder over past 30 years).  I hear 4 different tones constantly, including pulsatile,  and one ear is slightly behind the other so it is like an echo. 

I have hearing aids, but despite specific setting supposed to help, they tend to amplify background noises too much and not help with conversation.  I can hear better in one to one conversation, but if there is background noise or more than one conversation in a room at a time, forget it.  However, if someone opens a packet of crisps at the opposite end of a noisy room, it is as if they did it right next to my ear!  I use a nebuliser several times a day or my eustachian tube gets blocked and my breathing, swallowing etc., become so loud I cannot hear anything else.  Ear pressure means I often feel as though I am underwater, and have vertigo.


I am wanting to learn BSL as I may lose my hearing completely, but also because speech is becoming increasingly difficult too, due to dysphagia caused by nerve damage from radiotherapy. I cannot eat or drink and I struggle with some facial expressions because of trismus and damage to facial nerves,  e.g. I cannot puff my cheeks or push one cheek out  with tip of tongue.  I am sure there must be others such as those who have had strokes, who must face similar challenge with BSL,  and I would love to hear how you adapt.

I home educate my youngest daughter, who is 11, and interested in joining the caring profession , so she is also eager to learn. We hope to do as much as we can online and then try to attend evening classes to complete official certified courses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...