Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Annie

DS/ASC non verbal

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone 

my little boy is six years old has Down syndrome and Autism spectrum Condition. His hearing is fine but his speech is severely delayed and is only just beginning to emerge - parts of words and sounds but they're mainly copied. He attends a school which teaches BSL throughout so although he started on Makaton he has been learning BSL for the last three years. His signing is once again just copying others however when his one to one signs to him he clearly has a good understanding of the signs. We have been trying to learn BSL through books etc but I'm looking for a suitable course in the Liverpool area. The night school courses aren't suitable they seem to be aimed at adults whereas I need infant type subject matter also they are £800 basic level. Any ideas? Thanks x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Hi, I'm Catherine, not sure what to do here as each time I clicked something it froze? Anyway, I'm 61 yrs young, I'm from the Wirral, Cheshire, UK. Long story short... At 16yrs of age I decided everyone should know sign language. I knew nothing about it apart from my brother had joined the specials police and was given the alphabet to learn. Of course, he never, but I did. And that was it, the start of my journey. I've signed every since. Taught myself from books, reality hard work! And later became an Interpreter for the deaf. Absolutely  loved my job but due to health problems I had to give up work. Devastated me as I loved it. But I've never stopped signing. Taught many people over the years and still do as and when I'm able. Then... I became deaf, 😮 I wear 2 hearing aids but they've told me what I have will eventually go totally deaf. It goes completely on me but comes back to the level I have, he said one day it will go and it won't come back. It was a struggle initially getting used to the deafness, but I'm not bothered, I was well prepared wasn't I! God has been very good to me. I use BSL and SSE, I'm probably way behind worth the BSL touch, but I'm never too old to listen and improve! I hope!  So I have communication and since I've taught all my friends to sign...it means I've plenty of people I can chat to! 😉 Sorry, that's a long post! 😱 
    • Hi can anyone help?  Are there any BSL interpreters that could come to NW1 for 12.30 until 2pm today please?  NHS booking
    • hi all. this is my first time on this web site. i have been profoundly deaf for four months. i want to learn BSL so that i can teach my wife, so that i can understand what she is saying to me, so she can tell me what other people are saying to me  
    • Yes 100% what’s your skype name I’ll add you?
    • Hey, I'm 20 from England too currently learning BSL Level 1 and need someone to practice with, if you're still up for it?
    • Hi! I'm Laura-Jane, i'm 19 and am in my second year at University studying British Sign Language and Interpreting. I found this forum whilst looking for extra fingerspelling practice but I'm also looking forward to getting to know other people who also have an interest in BSL!  X
    • Hello everyone, my name is Cynthia  I'm interested in learning sign language because because I think it is a very beautiful language to learn.
    • Hi this year my daughter started to go deaf due to an auto immune condition called Cogans. In the future she may get progressively worse and lose her hearing so I want to learn BSL in case that happens.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - last 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker

• Random BSL Videos