ShaNeru

Public workplaces need more signers!

Hello~

I've been wanting to learn BSL for a while, and finally got around to it! Though I wish i had started earlier! 

I work in a public arts building where we get 3000 people almost daily, and after witnessing how some shows have BSL interpreters and others have voice-to-text subtitles and other support devices, I was surprised that they never thought about just teaching the staff basic signs... 
even a simple 'hello', 'Are you here for the show?' etc. phrases that align with what we do on the daily. 
We had two women come to a show who, from what I gathered, already gave up/avoided staff because no one could sign (they were still nice and smiled, but quickly got to their seats) and I'm sure they've had the same awkward greeting multiple times. it would be great if we could greet ALL our guests that come to our building, and not have some feeling left out. 

So here I am~~ struggling to remember to turn off my resting b*tch face 😂😂 and learning to use my whole body language ^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• I strongly believe that sign language is a very important skill to have - being able to sign allows widening of my communication and also means I do not have to rely on others. I have worked in IT for 15+ years and would like to find better and more effective ways of connecting both sign language and IT.
    • Hi. Im currently learning the beginners course to BSL. Ive been self teaching myself through YouTube but thought id try a more structured course.
    • Good evening,   I achieved my beginners certification last week Friday. A few weeks ago I decided that signing is/should be an essential skill that I need and as a result I signed up to the course on the website and just went for it. I have worked in IT for the best part of 15 years (user support and projects) and part of my motivation for learning sign language is to find a way or ways to connect sign language with IT. Some personal info - i’m 40 years old, with an amazing 6
    • I am an ELSA/Emotion coach for a secondary school, I am hoping to learn BSL to improve my skills, and to use this at work.  
    • Hi, my name is Caroline and I have just started to learn BSL.
    • Hi my name is Sandra, I am a grandmother of 13, we are a very close family but sometimes it does get a bit annoying when I am trying to complete an assessment. They send me photos and messages constantly, if I don’t reply they think there is something wrong, this means I am stopping and starting! I type slowly anyway (my ipad is old, keys stick, school issue) so my times for completing assessments are not quick. I hope I don”t get penalised at the end of the course! I am hoping I will gain enoug
    • Hi Milly,  Lovely to meet you. How are you finding BSL?    Luna x
    • Hi Lailah,    Nice to meet you. I myself have started learning BSL and if your anything like me, I have fallen in love and feel like I cant learn enough?
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker