3 reasons I’m learning ASL

marcD

1. I like to learn new things

I’ve learned how to fly, I’ve learned a good bit of Spanish, I’m a science nut and love reading about science and technology.  I figured ASL would be something that would be good to learn as well!

2. I want to meet new people and become involved with the Deaf community in my area

There is a whole community of people that I am detached from, simply because I lack the ability (knowledge) to communicate with them.  That’s a shame, and I want to change that so I can meet new people and make new friends.

3. It looks like a fun language

Two years ago, I was at a football game.  There was a couple in front of me that was deaf.  They were communicating the whole game without speaking a word, just using hands and face.  I was mesmerized but hopefully did not stare.  I had wished I could have joined in and at least introduced myself.  Hopefully I will get that opportunity again with others in the future.

These may all seem like selfish reasons, but I’m just being honest.

I guess there is one other reason: I volunteer at St Jude Children’s Research Hospital.  I have the fun task of playing with kids (patients and siblings) in the waiting rooms to help make their visit hopefully a little more pleasant.  My ability to speak some Spanish has come in quite handy!

St Jude has an audiology department, and I bet if I knew ASL, I could better interact with some of those Deaf/HH kids as well.  The possibilities are endless!