Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi!  My name is Nancy, and I’m new to this site, and hoping there might be some good advice here.  I learned finger spelling in ASL as I was growing up from a school friend who was patient enough to teach me.  Recently I was looking up the meaning of the word online, and somehow I found a great online dictionary that included pronunciation, meanings, alternate spellings and the ASL finger spelling of it at the bottom.  It was phenomenal, but I cannot find it now, after multiple searches.  I know it exists...just can’t find it again, argh.  I’ve worked in health care (as a nursing assistant, and a nurse) and have found ASL invaluable...so glad I learned at least the finger spelling level.  It has been invaluable. If I could find that dictionary again, I think there is interest for a lot of people who may not have been as lucky as I was to have learned it in childhood.  That dictionary I felt also raised awareness of the need to be open to learning this level.  I wish all dictionaries were so thoughtful!  Now that I’ve searched for this particular dictionary, I sadly see that is not the case.  Has anyone got an idea about this dictionary resource?  If so, I would so appreciate a link.  Thank you so much.

  • 1 year later...
Posted

Hey there!

Yes!

Don't worry, I have an answer about your word dictionary. I am using many online dictionary for word changer and finger spelling. Please check the list. Thanks 

The Best Sign Language Dictionary Recommendations
  • Religious Signing: A Comprehensive Guide For All Faiths. ...
  • American Sign Language Dictionary, Third Edition. ...
  • The Gallaudet Dictionary of American Sign Language. ...
  • The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary. ...
  • Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary.

 

Posted
On 1/16/2021 at 2:42 AM, Nancy E said:

Hi!  My name is Nancy, and I’m new to this site, and hoping there might be some good advice here.  I learned finger spelling in ASL as I was growing up from a school friend who was patient enough to teach me.  Recently I was looking up the meaning of the word online, and somehow I found a great online dictionary that included pronunciation, meanings, alternate spellings and the ASL finger spelling of it at the bottom.  It was phenomenal, but I cannot find it now, after multiple searches.  I know it exists...just can’t find it again, argh.  I’ve worked in health care (as a nursing assistant, and a nurse) and have found ASL invaluable...so glad I learned at least the finger spelling level.  It has been invaluable. If I could find that dictionary again, I think there is interest for a lot of people who may not have been as lucky as I was to have learned it in childhood.  That dictionary I felt also raised awareness of the need to be open to learning this level.  I wish all dictionaries were so thoughtful!  Now that I’ve searched for this particular dictionary, I sadly see that is not the case.  Has anyone got an idea about this dictionary resource?  If so, I would so appreciate a link.  Thank you so much.

Good day!

Yes!

Fear not; I have a solution for your word dictionary. I use a variety of internet dictionaries for finger spelling and word changing. Check the list, please. Thanks

The Best Sign Language Dictionary Recommendations
  • Religious Signing: A Comprehensive Guide For All Faiths. ...
  • American Sign Language Dictionary, Third Edition. ...
  • The Gallaudet Dictionary of American Sign Language. ...
  • The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary. ...
  • Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary.

Please follow 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...