Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone! My name is Brandi. I've been interpreting just short of 10 years. I hold state and national certification. I work in the St. Louis metro area. I've worked in almost every setting you can imagine, with the exception of VRS or VRI.  Currently I am a staff interpreter for a large hospital system. I received my Associates and Bachelor degrees in Sign Language. I learned the alphabet and how to sign Jingle Bell Rock when I was in 6th grade. I always remembered those signs. After working for the government for about 4 years doing accounting, I realized I wasn't happy. This led me to get a catalog for the local community college. There it was! A degree in sign language. One class and I was hooked. 

I love seeing all the people on this page trying to learn sign language. My biggest piece of advice is to find a Deaf friend/ mentor. There is nothing that compares to learning from a native user. 

Feel free to reach out with any questions! I look forward to meeting many of you. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...