Jump to content

Looking for a networking opportunity for someone I support who has a developmental disability


Recommended Posts

Posted

Good Afternoon on this very cold, very snowy day in Southwestern Ontario! My name is Lisa & I'm a Day Program Coordinator for Adults with Exceptionalities. I support  a young man named Josh who is aaaaaamzing & I want to help him make meaningful connections with other people who have a hearing impairment. His ASL is quite good, but more than anything, I'd simply like him to socialize! He is very sweet, sensitive & likes to create his own signs sometimes vs  learning the proper ones! I would like to expand his world, as he's been isolated for far too long within the system of developmental services. He has an  incredible family who would embrace this process. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Posted

Hi Andie!

I'm a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant. I'm also in school right now taking communications disorders and deaf education. I'm hoping to become an SLP someday. I have an assignment that requires me to meet people who are deaf, hard of hearing or are wearing cochlear implants. Would it be possible for me to interview Josh? I'm also learning ASL, I know some words but I rely heavily on fingerspelling.

Please e-mail me if you're available.  My e-mail is [email protected].

Thank you!

Camille

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...