Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I noticed this shirt online but do not recognize the second hand as the letter t. Is this an ironic mistake or am I missing something? New to ASL so wondering what the designer intended. See attached image from Amazon. Thanks in advance!

IMG_3475.jpeg

  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

❤️ I have a feeling that someone asked Ai to create an image for a t-shirt with a sign language theme. Ai created an image and the individual just used the image without double checking if it actually makes sense. Haha

👉 Another option is that it might actually make sense to the actual creator of the shirt. Sign language isn't universal in every country. Heck, even handshapes aren't universal in every country.

For example, the "T" sign in ASL is a vulgar insult in countries like Russia and Indonesia.

Here's what Ai has to say about it:

=========

Handshapes can carry dramatically different meanings across cultures. The ASL sign for the letter T involves the thumb tucked between the index and middle fingers. In American Sign Language, it's simply a letter. But in Russian culture, that same gesture is known as the fig sign (called кукиш or шиш in Russian), and it’s considered rude or dismissive.

🇷🇺 Russian Meaning of the ASL "T" Handshape

- Gesture: Thumb tucked between index and middle fingers
- Russian term: Kukish or Shish
- Meaning: A vulgar refusal, equivalent to “You’re not getting anything” or “No way”
- Context: Used to deny a request, mock someone, or express defiance. Historically, it was even used to ward off evil spirits or bad luck.

So while ASL uses it neutrally for spelling, in Russia it’s a culturally loaded gesture. Definitely one to avoid flashing casually in Russian-speaking regions.

=========

❤️ Wow! Ward off evil spirits! haha Fascinating stuff. Have a beautiful day everyone! 👍

 

[G] R006 just smile and wave.gif

Edited by Michael Honkanen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...