Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

How'd y'all, my name is James, but generally I go by JE. I am a deaf / hard of hearing individual in New York State. I was raised in an oral school and home, it was hard but I learned. I didn't even know now ASL, or schools for the Deaf existed until I was in my 20's. I am a mechanic by profession and work in an industrial laundry.

I have self-taught myself ASL, but don't get much chance to utilize or practice it. I am hoping that will all change here.

I look forward to learning and growing here, if you know of any other deaf chat platforms please do share.

God Bless you all!

Posted

❤️ Welcome, James! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself — it’s amazing how much you’ve accomplished on your own. Learning ASL independently takes real dedication.

I’m glad you found this space and hope it gives you lots of opportunities to connect and practice. Wishing you the best on your journey! 😊

If you’d like something extra to practice with, here are some simple, beginner-friendly ASL conversations 👉 https://ablelingo.com/t/simple-asl

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...