Sign in to follow this  
Jōshua Jake's

JOSH

hello, my name is Josiah, am 18 years old and I live in Toronto Canada. I was born in Trinidad now am a student at the Bob Rumbell Centre Canadian of Excellence for the Deaf (1D-2D for now) 

I love practising asl and learning cultures 😁

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Hi!  I am a writer, and one of my developing characters is deaf. I really want to delve into deaf culture and really capture everything there is to it.  I started learning ASL about a month ago, and I love it. I am self studying through books, online lesson plans and flashcards. The only thing missing is someone to practice with, even if it's just five minutes a day  
    • Communication plays an essential role in everyone’s life. There are so many benefits if we provide ASL to children in public schools. Like  learning sign language aides young hearing children, including babies and toddlers, in developing oral language quicker. Children learn better with a ASL translator if we provide to them. There numbers of companies that are providing ASL translator services one of them is Languages Unlimited.
    • I would love to help you, i also need someone to practice with. I have been doing ASL for just a couple years and am taking a class in public school for it. but it would be awesome to have a practice buddy to help get better at it.
    • I would suggest using lifeprint.com to learn some basic signs, especially fingerspelling (get GOOD at that), then just go to a Deaf event. Deaf people are friendly and will be glad to meet you, if you have basic vocab. Lifeprint has free dictionary and ASL1 and 2 Course videos. Suggestion: silent dinner. Be ready and able to explain who you are, why you are interested in asl, and some background info. Know basic signs that allow you to ask for repetition, clarification, slower signing, etc. Also, know most ASL 1 vocab if possible, but not required. get to the point of being able to "read " fingerspelling on online practice sites with a ""moderate" speed at least.   Please anyone who's Deaf correct me if I'm wrong about this.