Sign in to follow this  
Cathy Shields

Name signs

Is it true that someone else who speaks ASL needs to give you a name sign?  What do you do when you don't have an ASL speaker available?  Like when you are learning sign to help a small child.

hello. i am of hearing and studying ASL and in my experience, a name sign is given, from someone who is Deaf and uses ASL to a Hearing person if the person who is Deaf (and or a group/the community) acknowledges that hearing person. the Deaf tend to associate a name sign to the person with something they know that person frequents, likes doing, has a certain hobby, just something to identify by. 2 types of name signs are: 1) arbitrary- implies the name sign has no specific meaning ex... someone named (called) CJ. a Deaf person could possibly give the arbitrary sign name to that person and fingerspell C-J and move it somewhere around the body.  2) descriptive- implies the name sign is made referring to a person's appearance or characteristics. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Are you willing to chat/sign with someone who is pretty rusty at their signing. I would be honored to get to know you better. Either reply or email me [email protected] Thank You! John
    • Are you willing to chat/sign with someone who is pretty rusty at their signing. I would be honored to get to know you better. Either reply or email me [email protected] Thank You! John
    • Hello, I am John from Milwaukee, WI CST looking for a signing partner. I went through the 1st year of ITP Interpreter Technician Program at my community college and had to drop out due to learning disability, I love to sign however I can't interpret. I'm 45-year-old male married 1 year, I was in college when I was 20 so a few years ago. I think I might feel more comfortable with a female signer. Please send me an email. Thank You! [email protected]
    • Hello everyone! Remember I do classes on Mondays, Wednsdays, and Fridays. I also do practice every few days.