Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

My name is Cat.  I am 47 and married.  I have been interested in ASL for a while.  I come from a city (Olathe, KS) that has a large deaf community.  I feel that ASL is a more helpful language to learn than spoken languages, because there are phone translators available for spoken languages.

I have had success using signs to help my foster sons learn to talk.  I had a two year old who went from grunting and head-butting to "mimi eat me"  I am currently building my vocabulary for my granddaughter and myself.  I know this sounds weird, but I have an inner child who is mute.  I don't have multiple personalities, but I do feel like there are pieces of me that got stuck at certain ages, because of childhood trauma.  The littlest one (I call her sweet pea), is from before I started talking at age 3.  I am teaching myself lullabyes and words like "sleep" and "safe" to learn to express that part of myself.  Please don't be offended if you do not believe in this.  I realize it may be cultural appropriation.  I just want to be able to open up that part of myself so I can heal.

Also, when I return to Olathe, I want to be able to hold better conversations than just "please" and "thank you" with members of the deaf community.  I would like to eventually be able to translate as a volunteer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • When several deadlines come together, students can easily feel overwhelmed and start searching for ways to do my assignment. However, learning how to plan the research and organize ideas can make academic work much easier to manage. This article offers some useful suggestions for approaching difficult coursework in a more organized way. Definitely an informative read for students.
    • Writing a thesis can be challenging when research, critical analysis, referencing, and academic deadlines all need careful attention. Students working on complex research projects may find Thesis writing services useful for organising their ideas, reviewing drafts, and improving the structure and clarity of their academic work.
    • Originality and accurate referencing are important when preparing academic research. Students looking for plagiarism free dissertation help should consider services that focus on original writing, proper citations, proofreading, and careful editing. A reliable provider can also help improve the structure and presentation of a dissertation while ensuring that sources are appropriately acknowledged. Checking the provider’s quality standards and revision policy can help students choose suitable academic support for their research project.
    • At Faisalabad Fabric Store Canada, we bring 15 years of wholesale experience and our own in-house manufacturing to our linen collection. We already supply several boutique owners across Canada, from Toronto and Mississauga to Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Surrey. Linen is the fabric Canadian South Asian shoppers move to once lawn season ends, and we keep our production and stock built around that shift, so your store doesn’t have a gap between summer and winter collections. Wholesale Pakistani Linen Suits
×
×
  • Create New...