Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello everyone,

This is my first time ever posting on a forum (I've never done reddit or anything else), so I hope you all will be patient with me. I'm studying to be an ASL-English Interpreter, I am about to go into Sign 4 at my college, but I believe it is way easier to pick up the language when communicating with native ASL speakers (signers?), but the pandemic has canceled my plans to go to Deaf chats or volunteering at Deaf organizations in my area so I just don't have that opportunity which is why I decided to come here.

When not signing in person I enjoy watching videos, reviewing previous ASL material from school, and reading ASL related books, but I notice that there is still not a lot of good material that goes in-depth into the grammar. For example, I was recently reviewing how to describe the layout of a house, and my school material only offered one video, without any text explanation, as an example and focused more on the layout of a room. The way I like to learn is by having numerous examples and having explanations why things are signed a certain way.

That is all I wanted to say for now, I hope you all can help me out!

Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...