Last year I enjoyed the online course for BSL and since have continued to be fascinated by this beautiful language.  At the moment I'm watching Youtube videos of pop songs being signed, to increase my vocabulary - it's a lot of fun!  I'm trying to learn "Can't Stop The Feeling" but it is very fast and I'm literally getting my fingers in a twist! ;)

I have disabilities myself, though none to do with hearing loss, and therefore understand somewhat of what it is to be one of the worlds minorities. (Though it is hard to compare this to the uniqueness of Deaf culture.)

As well as enjoying signing, I want to learn about customs, correct phrases etc, so please correct me if I write anything wrong.

Thanks, Ellen *waves*

I'm doing the level 1 award in BSL studies online and I've got my mock Receptive skills assessment tomorrow. my question is what to expect? I've read through the paperwork and understand how the descriptive narrative assessment and conversational assessment will work (I think), but still unsure what to expect from the Receptive skills assessment as in how it works?

well done completing your level 1 last year.

Hi Danielle, I'm not sure we're talking about the same course. Yours sounds a lot more in depth - and certainly impressive. My course was wholly online, where you watch a film of a sign and then fill out the form with your answer. I should also add I have no qualifications, my health makes it hard for me to do tests/exams, so I learnt the content without ever applying for a certificate (which I hope to do later). I am very much a beginner - sorry I can't be more help! 

Wishing you the very best of luck, let me know how it goes! :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hi Joanne, Yes it will, focus on technique and accuracy and speed will naturally come with time
    • Hi everyone, I am currently doing level 2, working on my presentation.  Loving signing but not the fastest and finding the flow difficult, suppose it will come with practice. 
    • I forgot to mention, I am hoping to learn London BSL.  I know some signs tend to vary by area, so hoping to learn the signs which are most prominent around London. Thank you~~
    • Hello, A bit about me: I'm 27. I have been studying BSL on my own for just under two months. My vocabulary is about 325 words + the alphabet. I would love to take a public class to further my skills (especially grammar!), but here's the catch: I live in japan!  So I'm looking for someone who has advanced level BSL to meet with once a week over Skype for lessons.  I am more than happy to pay for the private tutoring.  Would anyone here be interested in this, or know of a resource to find an online tutor?  Japan and UK timezones match up so that we could meet in the UK-morning/Japan-evening.   Thanks!
    • You're right, I somehow got confused with which fingers were up. I think the final sign is actually ASL for the number 9.
    • @Ferkel I don't understand your text, a little. I don't look for a sign 'T-shirt' in ASL, but meaning sings ON my T-shirt. I put the photo. Xoxo, Merry
    • Thanks for answer. Unfortunatly I don't have any context, It's just a T-shirt I bought in the usualy shop center. But I would like to know what my shirt is saying to the world. And the last sign is not D, I think I can use word 'opposed', look at the picture. It's D.     Xoxo, Mery
    • hi monty  I am currently doing evening course level 102 exam next week would like a practise buddy    ve 
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker

• Random BSL Videos