Hello,

Last year I enjoyed the online course for BSL and since have continued to be fascinated by this beautiful language.  At the moment I'm watching Youtube videos of pop songs being signed, to increase my vocabulary - it's a lot of fun!  I'm trying to learn "Can't Stop The Feeling" but it is very fast and I'm literally getting my fingers in a twist! ;)

I have disabilities myself, though none to do with hearing loss, and therefore understand somewhat of what it is to be one of the worlds minorities. (Though it is hard to compare this to the uniqueness of Deaf culture.)

As well as enjoying signing, I want to learn about customs, correct phrases etc, so please correct me if I write anything wrong.

Thanks, Ellen *waves*

hello

I'm doing the level 1 award in BSL studies online and I've got my mock Receptive skills assessment tomorrow. my question is what to expect? I've read through the paperwork and understand how the descriptive narrative assessment and conversational assessment will work (I think), but still unsure what to expect from the Receptive skills assessment as in how it works?

well done completing your level 1 last year.

Hi Danielle, I'm not sure we're talking about the same course. Yours sounds a lot more in depth - and certainly impressive. My course was wholly online, where you watch a film of a sign and then fill out the form with your answer. I should also add I have no qualifications, my health makes it hard for me to do tests/exams, so I learnt the content without ever applying for a certificate (which I hope to do later). I am very much a beginner - sorry I can't be more help! 

Wishing you the very best of luck, let me know how it goes! :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Good to hear from you. Unfortunately I am down in Stroud - I go to a class in Gloucester.
    • Hi, I'm in a very similar situation and am part way through Level 1 online.  I'm near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire but haven't found a club yet. Whereabouts are you? Happy to meet up if you are vaguely local.
    • Hello, my name is Helen and I have become progressively more hard of hearing since I was 42 (I'm now 61). I wear aids in both ears and am aware that I may become profoundly deaf, so I have begun to learn BSL. I am an instrumental tutor so this raises some challenges but I teach one-to-one so can manage quite well at present. I am just completing a five week introduction to BSL with my daughter - which is great because we can practice together! Mainly I become frustrated with my inability to absorb new signs as fast as I would like...but I expect that applies to most people. By co-incidence I have a deaf from birth dog who I have taught various signs and he responds very well! Just wanted to ask whether anyone here who is doing BSL has found a club locally where they have gone to make friends and practise signing - it seems to be a recommendation for doing Level 1.  
    • https://www.famlingo.co.uk/

The Famlingo app is a mobile library of short video clips demonstrating British Sign Language (BSL) signs with spoken English. It would be especially useful for people who are learning signs for Early Years to ensure you are learning BSL signs rather than ASL ones. This means you can also use these signs to communicate with members of the Deaf Community who use BSL. The app allows subscribers to access a library of over 250 high-quality sign videos that are demonstrated by a Level 6 BSL Qualified signer. The topics covered in the library are: Alphabet Animals Colours Conversation Family Feelings and Emotions Food and Drink Numbers Questions Toys and Activities Transport and Vehicles Weather For more info on how to access the app, please contact:

[email protected]

• https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/4-week-british-sign-language-bsl-taster-course-6-hours-tuition-tickets-74865034333?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing   This engaging 4-week course is designed for beginners to learn basic British Sign Language (BSL) in an informal and friendly environment. About this Event This course is designed to be relaxed, fun and teach beginners to communicate in basic British Sign Language (BSL). A range of topics will be taught that involve simple, everyday language use. Learners will gain basic skills and confidence in the production and reception of BSL. Group learning has many benefits but each person will also get individual time with the tutor to ensure everyone has the chance to progress and have questions answered during the lessons. At the end of the 4-week course, learners will be able to: understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL take part in simple, everyday conversations in BSL give and follow simple, familiar statements or descriptions in BSL. If you have any questions about this course or any future courses, please get in touch. T: 07989 218 909 E: [email protected]
    • https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/4-week-british-sign-language-bsl-taster-course-6-hours-tuition-tickets-74865034333?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing

Hello! When I was 16, I went to Sheffield College to learn BSL (15 years ago). During those 5 years, I had 3 amazing Deaf BSL tutors who gave me a strong start in my learning and are still part of my journey now! It’s rare to find highly qualified BSL tutors who can also give you their personal experience of Deaf History/Culture and what it is like being Deaf and living in the Hearing world. The college had been offering the Signature BSL qualifications every year but for an unknown reason, they decided to withdraw the courses in August 2018 meaning there wasn’t anywhere for people to get the high-quality BSL teaching that was available before in Sheffield. I’m excited that I can help offer others the same opportunity I had when I was a teenager, to learn from one of my tutors who still has a big impact on my life! She is hoping to start up teaching BSL and this is a taster of her future lessons! Please, could you invite anyone local to Sheffield who might like to learn sign language and share with your friends!

Thanks
      Jules
    • I would be happy to practice with people. I have just started my level 1 but have self-taught various signs. 
    • I'm not in your area but would be happy to practice on skype   
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker