Learning Makaton

Hi, 

I see that this thread hasn't been touched for a couple of years, so I was wondering if anybody out there would like to revive it with me, as I would also like to learn Makaton alongside BSL. I have just started learning BSL and having Makaton would also be beneficial as I am looking to getting back into working with primary school aged children with SEN.

Thank you in advance!🙂

Laura-Kate

• 3 years later...

Hope you achieved it.  Làmh and Makaton are basically the same thing, but why not just stick to ISL/BSL?  There's so many signs to learn over time, why complicate it?

However.  Làmh at least does have an app of games to learn Làmh called Làmh Time with a video dictionary of over a 100 signs.  Also, Vimeo has 2 DVDs copied that are songs using Làmh for learning Làmh.  It's not the same, and it would give you a basis of Irish Sign Language, but I think from a cost point of view, Làmh is more accessible.  Besides, it might even give you an excuse to learn British Sign Language and Irish Sign Language which would increase potential people you could talk to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Wondering about other people's motivation. I am passionate about learning new languages and this has always caught my attention. Love it!
    • Hello, are you still looking for a school for your child? I advise christian school https://fceagles.org/ , provide a nurturing environment where academic excellence and spiritual growth go hand in hand. These institutions integrate a biblical worldview into their curriculum, offering students a well-rounded education that fosters intellectual, moral, and spiritual development. Students engage in rigorous academic studies while participating in daily Bible lessons, chapel services, and community
    • Thank you so much! that is amazing what you're doing!  wish you the best of luck in your journey!!
    • Hi  I’m currently working in a primary school in Wales. There has been suggestions that I might be working with a 6 year old with a cochlear implant from September. Im here to improve my BSL to help them achieve the best they can 
    • That's great!  I'm taking level 2 ISL(Irish) right now.  Got a book of Bible Stories in English and Braille I'm working through too. I wish you the best of luck!
    • Hey, i'm new here. I'm coming to the end of my level 1 course now ready to start level 2. I am aiming to go all the way to persue my drea career as an interpretor. I am hoping to find some people here that would like to practice, so that our signing can get to be the est it can be!
    • It's a bit late to reply, though I think Let's Sign BSL Dictionary is one of the more impressive sign dictionaries.  ASL has "The Gallaudet Children’s Dictionary of American Sign Language" and the ISL(Irish) dictionary includes the first page with the alphabet, the explains each further sign with the alphabet introduced on the first page.  A good dictionary can be a good book I think. I only just noticed no one had answered your question, so I thought I might.
    • Hi all, hoping that you are really well. I undertook a BSL course around 25 years ago. I now have a little boy who requires us to sign to help him with his day to day life. It's surprising how much is coming back to me and how much I enjoy it!. Hoping that today is a good day for you :) 
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker