Why I'm Learning Sign Language

Hi everyone!

I'm learning BSL for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I've always been fascinated with Sign Language - it's such a complex, beautiful and expressive language and has a brilliant community to go along with it. I've been trying to learn on and off for a few years but wasn't ever able to put aside enough time to commit to it! But now I've joined a group in my congregation who teach it, and it's been so much fun to learn together! Even through this pandemic we've been able to continue our lessons through Zoom, which has been a real blessing!

Mainly my reason for learning BSL now is to have the ability to share good news with everyone who wants to hear it! I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and we believe that everyone is equally deserving of the message of hope from the Bible, no matter who you are, so I really hope that by learning this beautiful form of communication I'll be able to share a bit of sunshine with ones I might not previously have been able to reach so easily! 

Thank you for reading, and if you want to, please check out our site JW.ORG for timely and practical advice!

❤️

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• Hi everyone, I hope your all well. My actual name is Dawn, but it had already been used, so I opted for Dolphin as that is my nickname at work. I like swimming in the sea, weather permitting. I started the course during the second lockdown, but have only just plucked up the courage to join the forum, as I am not very good on computers and on line learning. Evening classes at college I found easier and more social to learn, but I am giving this a go. Well at least until we can go back to the old fashioned way of attending a college. Having completed a course many many years ago and then not using it, I decided it was time to have a go again. Also in my job with customers who come in to the Post Office and need help, who may be hard of hearing or completely deaf, I felt useless. Taking this course, I hope will help them to feel more comfortable when coming in to use the services.    
    • Hi, My name is Yvonne, I have always been interested in learning BSL and lockdown has given me the opportunity and time to do just that. Happy signing everyone!
    • Hi everyone, My name is Jess and I'm 15, i always wanted to learn BSL and my friends have been learning too. I thought that during lockdown, it would be the best time to take the course online. I won't lie, I'm not very good, I can sign the basic things like 'thank you' and i can sign numbers, but I really wanted to learn and be able to communicate with the deaf community through BSL. I aim to finish the course and use BSL more when communicating with people. Thanks everyone!
    • Hello my name is Alexander! I am 16 years old and I am learning sign language because I want to work with children with disabilities when I am older. I have had a lot of work experience from volunteering at my school SSE. I’ve wanted to learn sign language so I can communicate better with the children I may work with in the future or in the present. 
    • Hi, I am mum to an 18 month old who has bilateral hearing loss so this is the main reason for learning BSL in order to allow us a way of communicating when she doesn't have her aids in.  Apart from being mum I am a neonatal nurse in NICU, so although it doesn't directly help my job it certainly will make things easier if we have any deaf parents in the unit.  
    • Hiya, I am learning BSL as my daughter who is 18 months old is deaf and wears bilateral hearing aids. I wanted to learn sign language in order to teach her it as she grows so we have a form of communication when she is not wearing her aids for example in the bath, or in the pool (whenever that may be again due to covid lol ).
    • Recently changed a corporate engineering career to Health & Social care. Currently supporting people with Learning disabilities and thought BSL would be a great addition to help with service users.
    • Thanks for getting back to me. Just wanted to check as I know there are many signs the same sue  
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker