Introducing Myself

Hi everyone!

My name is Hayley. I'm just restarting my BSL course, I started at the beginning of the lockdown here, genuinely thinking I would be furloughed and have heaps of time....I didn't get furloughed! So now I stay late once a week at work to get some learning done before my fitness class. 

I've always wanted to learn BSL and I have a friend who teaches me bit (usually swearing) whenever I see her. It's something that has always interested me and I think could be useful in life. I work in a school so it could be useful there.....or I could teach my fiance the sign for 'vodka and slimline tonic please' so he know what I want to drink in a loud bar!

I am struggling to keep all the things I've learnt in my brain but I think using it more would help so I am trying to use the signs I know when I talk. Hopefully that will cement them in my mind a bit better!

Edited by HayHayHayley
Wanted to add something

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• Hi everyone. I signed up for this course 2 years ago and then life got in the way and I forgot all about it. Now, here I am, determined to give it my best shot. I  have limited experience of BSL (and Makaton) through my various care jobs over the years but I am hoping that this time I will be successful in my studies. I hope to have better communication with my granddaughter who is 5 years old. She is deaf and autistic. She is non verbal and communication (or lack of it) is becoming more and more of a frustration for her and everyone supporting her. I'm in my 60's but I hope that my brain is able to retain at least some of what I am learning!
    • Hi everyone, I learnt the BSL alphabet as a child along with my siblings. I never lost interest and have attempted to begin learning BSL a few times over the past 20 yrs with something getting in the way each time. I’m just starting section 3 of the course and looking forward to learning more. I’m retraining, studying Ceramic Design BA. Currently on a long covid break from my Uni studies but I’m hoping to use my BSL studies once I graduate. Possibly training as an art teacher or being able to offer inclusive courses in my studio. Hopeful that my long covid recovery isn’t going to get in the way of completing the BSL course. Also, I’m dyslexic so am wondering if this will be a hurdle when the signing/grammar becomes more complex. Good luck with your studies everyone. Jo x 
    • Hi, im Psywren, i live in the south west. im new to bsl. I started to learn the language a few days ago for a couple of reasons. I like the physicality of the language, and the way you can communicate non verbally (i am autistic and am sometimes non verbal). I dont currently know anyone who is deaf, but i used to work in customer service. Occasionally we would serve people who knew bsl and i always regretted that i couldn't talk to them like i might anyone else. Paper and a pen just doesn't cut it, imho. dont think i have anything else to add, so hello!  
    • I was born deaf in one ear and reliant on my other ear to hear. I never had too much of a problem except working out sound direction.  But, there's always a but, about 5 years ago my family noticed my hearing was poor, I had a hearing aid fitted and then I started getting dizzy spells. A visit to an amazing ENT consultant who tested my hearing, listened to me and diagnosed suspected Meniere's disease. Up to this point, I'd never heard of this disease which is attacking my good ear. Medication controls the dizziness but I'm now at the point to be considered for a cochlear implant as I cannot hear anything without my hearing aid. Part of my acceptance that I'm going to be deaf is learning sign language. My family is learning to sign as well as. Not being to communicate with them would be too awful to think about. We're all using the BSL course which is amazing, I can't recommend it enough. It's going to be an uphill struggle but I know when the inevitable happens I'll be able to sign it away!
    • Hi, just started learning BSL and loving it, started for couple of reasons, work (domestic abuse support) and I’m hearing impaired. I live in rural mid Wales so looking for a community where I can practice cos the last thing I want is to lose it cos I don’t regularly use it!
    • Hi Han, just started BSL, have wanted to for ages, I live in mid Wales :)
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker